Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

The Winslow
243 E 14th Street

Described on Open Table as: "capturing the essence of a classic British inspired public house and eatery." I'm set to eat there on Wednesday, as it's near something I'll be at.

Any experience with it yet?

I hadn't heard about Nordic Preserves, Fish & Wildlife, a Nordic sandwich shop in the Essex Street Market that sounds really good.

But this description confuses me:

A compressed, Scandinavian version of Russ & Daughters

I thought Russ & Daughters was . . . .

Ha. Just saw this. The Nordic vendor looks good, as well as sounds good, but approach cautiously. Some of the made food, like the...well, whatever the Nordic is for quiches...can be bland and dry. Cured fish is better, but inevitably pricey.

The Winslow

243 E 14th Street

Described on Open Table as: "capturing the essence of a classic British inspired public house and eatery." I'm set to eat there on Wednesday, as it's near something I'll be at.

Any experience with it yet?

Two or three visits, but mainly for drinks. It's a very elegant, long bar (tables in the rear), and boasts a list of specialty gin and tonics. I tried some of the snacks, which were fine ("crumpets" with duck confit). I'd be interested to hear how it goes with a more extensive menu exploration.

I hadn't heard about Nordic Preserves, Fish & Wildlife, a Nordic sandwich shop in the Essex Street Market that sounds really good.

But this description confuses me:

A compressed, Scandinavian version of Russ & Daughters

I thought Russ & Daughters was . . . .

That's fucking hilarious.

Now that I know that my time in NYC is finite, there are a whole ton of places I'm curious about and I hope I'll get to in the next year. Most of these involve food I'm not likely to get out there:

--Caribbean, especially the Guyanase & Trini fare in Richmond Hill

--Puerto Rican and Dominican: 21+ years in the city and I've had both maybe twice each

--Uzbek/Georgian/Russian

--West African

And once the weather gets cold again, one more swing around the Jewish delis and the Polish/Ukrainian restaurants.