Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

Great one for a romantic dinner. "Darling, thinking where I should take you to dinner, and The Fat Cow came to mind."

"Funny, darling, I was thinking of The Wilted Parsnip."

Or better yet, the now-shuttered Swallow in Philly.

Who in their fucking right mind opens another restaurant/bar in the old Tailor space?

Chalk Point...

I don't believe that restaurant spaces are cursed: there's a pot for every lid. Now, as to whether this particular establishment will be a hit...

And who in their right fucking mind offers a kale-martini?

There, you've got me baffled.

• Like 1

Who in their fucking right mind opens another restaurant/bar in the old Tailor space?

Chalk Point...

I don't believe that restaurant spaces are cursed: there's a pot for every lid. Now, as to whether this particular establishment will be a hit...

Not even 25 Fifth?

I assume Grub Street is just reproducing the PR, but doesn't anyone read with their eyes open?

,,,featuring locally sourced cuisine in a rustic farmhouse retreat... [e.g.] Icelandic arctic char with white miso and ruby-red grapefruit...

I don't believe that restaurant spaces are cursed: there's a pot for every lid.

Not even 25 Fifth?

If you mean the Cru space, Cru had a six-year run and was a huge hit for a big part of that time (until after the financial crisis hit), so I wouldn't call it a failure.

And then there's 230 5th Avenue in Brooklyn. Seven restaurants in seven years.

The second branch of the super-popular neighborhood institution Dizzy's opened for business at 7:00 this morning, on the corner of Fifth Avenue and President Street. It's a well-laid out space, very similar to the original, which has held down the corner of Eighth Avenue and Ninth Street since 1998.

The corner, which was most recently home to Comida, has been called "cursed" because of the sheer number of eateries that have come and gone from here in recent years. Before Comida, there was Playa, then Lookout Hill BBQ, then Biscuit BBQ, then Night and Day, then BiBi's. Before that it was Ralph's Dry Cleaners (Ralph died on-premises, so maybe it's really cursed after all).

Tessa on the UWS makes me curious, but it's another "does nobody read or think?" case as I find Time Out dutifully reporting that it serves "rustic Mediterranean" food, offering this example of sun-baked peasant rusticity: "venison loin carpaccio with caper-leek chimichurri". Good old nonna, eh?

And then there's 230 5th Avenue in Brooklyn. Seven restaurants in seven years.

The second branch of the super-popular neighborhood institution Dizzy's opened for business at 7:00 this morning, on the corner of Fifth Avenue and President Street. It's a well-laid out space, very similar to the original, which has held down the corner of Eighth Avenue and Ninth Street since 1998.

The corner, which was most recently home to Comida, has been called "cursed" because of the sheer number of eateries that have come and gone from here in recent years. Before Comida, there was Playa, then Lookout Hill BBQ, then Biscuit BBQ, then Night and Day, then BiBi's. Before that it was Ralph's Dry Cleaners (Ralph died on-premises, so maybe it's really cursed after all).

Ralph's was my dry cleaners. I wouldn't be surprised if he (or his widow) cursed the place.