Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

Here in NYC, living near Union Square, where Gothamist had said there'd be a "Giant Tanker of Free Sausage Coming," I just went. I'm a freelancer now so I billed my client while editing on line.

Long line not shown. It still wasn't as bad as the line for the Nutella-sponsored, also free, Ansel Dominique cronut holes in Madison Square Park a little over a month ago.

3czKEpe.jpg

They gave me good-for-freebie-size chunks of jalapeno-and-cheddar and "HISTORY Hickory" sausage. Smoky enough. I know nothing about the pitmaster, "Rib Whisperer" Trace Arnold. But the History channel must not be paying for more than the "commodity pork" that Hearth's Marco Canora said he wouldn't use, quoted in the article about Union Square Cafe soon to close. Both sausages were as sweet as they were spicy, and off-puttingly oily.

2XiHNT4.jpg

An unadvertised meat smoking on the top rack -- maybe shoulder -- for later today?

y6CuIFp.jpg

The nearby Jehovah's Witnesses hadn't tried any. For once, they were properly skeptical.

Zh3fuuV.jpg

FWIW, I only had to wait 5 minutes for a free Good Humor bar and a chance to meet Mr. Met yesterday. Had I been able to go, I could have also snagged free tickets for last night's Mets game, which would have been actually fun to see.

Big Smoke Burger, Canadian-based chain, coming to Chelsea. Curious because it's bent on selling us poutine. I can't count how many businesses have tried to sell us poutine--regular and fancy--and been greeted with a general "meh."

Me, I'll eat it.

I guess people will have memories too short to remember the place of a very similar name from the crazy Italian guy, that replaced his earlier place, all in the same space that used to be Arqua (and is now a David Bouley event space).

Anyway, I'd go back to the old nabe for Chef Floyd.