Places we're curious about

Well, I can't cuz I still have a headache from the Alice-in-Wonderland decor. But I liked the food (much to my surprise), if not the "flavor stone" that made it really difficult to lift my Martini.

But I think that in general, the public's memory overall is short.

Anyway, I really like Floyd Cardoz, and look forward to trying the place. Another reason to keep getting my hair cut by the same guy!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

Who could forget the crazy Italian guy's first place?

I remember the place, but it took some digging to get the name: Il Matto, literally "the madman". A restaurant called White & Church briefly replaced it.

Thanks; all I could remember was "coco pazzo" and I knew that was wrong.

White & Church was the same guy, Matteo Boglione, just trying to be more "accessible," iirc. That is now David Bouley's event space, Bouley Botanical, so it can't be where Chef Floyd is going. Can it??

So it will be in the former churrascuria space.

(They say it will use the West Broadway entrance rather than the White St. entrance the churrascuria used. I have NO recollection of there being a White St. entrance. My brain is mush.)

My brain is right there with yours, but I've never been in the place, just walked by.

(They say it will use the West Broadway entrance rather than the White St. entrance the churrascuria used. I have NO recollection of there being a White St. entrance. My brain is mush.)

My brain is right there with yours, but I've never been in the place, just walked by.

I ate there twice, years ago. Two entrances.

I ate there twice, years ago. Two entrances.

How was the chicken?

(I never ate there either. I figured that kind of place isn't a good value for me since I don't eat all that much, usually.)

The chicken wasn't bad :blush: . The thing about churrascurias though is that they usually do great chicken hearts. Given the BHSB thread, I can only imagine how many chickens went elsewhere to supply the hearts to this place. Hope they were partners with a KFC.

Not a restaurant but a shop: Jonty Jacobs, a new South African place focusing on biltong (SA jerky) and droewors (the SA equivalent of Slim Jims). The meat products are made in the US, so there's no importing issue. They're also selling sausages and various groceries from back home, including rusks and chutney. It's at 114 Christopher Street.

Stephanie, have you ever been to Madiba in Fort Greene? The menu looks a bit kitsch, but they do have bobotie, which I sometimes crave.

Oh sure. I think we've hit every South African restaurant & wine bar in NYC several times. ;) N thinks that Madiba's authenticity has improved over the years.

The novelty about Jonty Jacobs is that it carries groceries and biltong. Madiba has groceries, but their markup is outrageous, and Fairway has Mrs. Ball's chutney but that's about it. There's a guy in New Jersey who makes his own biltong, droewors, and boerwoers for a little less $$ than what Jonty Jacobs is charging, but he's only in the city occasionally, otherwise you have to pay shipping costs.