Places we're curious about

12 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

What’s availability usually like at Wu’s (who don’t reserve their outdoor seats AFAICT)?

I’ve never not been able to walk right up and get a table. Though we haven’t gone terribly often over the last year, admittedly. 

11 hours ago, Orik said:

They do understand it, but you're allowed to do it as long as people seated in there follow indoor protocols (pretend to take temperature, scribble illegible contact info, 6 feet apart or barriers, etc. 

Or they do understand it and ignore the rules, packing the space with no partitions because the fine they may eventually get is less than the extra profit. 

I get that they’re allowed to... I just think it’s shady to call those tables “outdoors” when they’re not. I’m not the only person to have walked away from a reservation listening to mumbled apologies when faced with such a situation, I’m sure.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Orik said:

Very unapologetic and so far very good food. 

Did you get the fried fish? That's what I have my eye on, and the grilled paneer and the eggplant.

The fried fish is very good with excellent crispy and well spiced coating. The eggplant was not as successful and wasn't helped by an incredibly mustard oil-y mayo. We didn't try the paneer. I'll write in more detail later. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Hester Street Fair (rip) is being taken over by "Flea Industries," the same outfit which runs Smorgasburg, Brooklyn Flea, and others. New name: Hester Flea (surprise). Yes - there was hand wringing amongst those who believe Hester Street Fair got a bum deal. But mostly bullshit...a board (of directors) has to do what a board has to do.

Whether this is good or bad, who knows?  I do know that I barely visited Hester Street Fair over the last five years or so, other than to walk through it to get to Essex St. and beyond...it has always been a good shortcut.

It will start with Saturdays only, expanding to Sundays and beyond when the time comes.

i've been following this story, and I'm relieved that the replacement won't be one of those mozzarepa & tube socks outfits, at least. I went to Hester Street Fair whenever they had a food-related thing. Those were a lot of fun. I hope they find a new spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I lost track of the new signage I saw on my walk last night. Next time I'll take pictures so I can remember. Off the top of my head:

• An Argentinian place in the Raviolo space on 7th Ave
  • A new bar called Bandits from the group that does the Garrett in the Daddy-O space on Bedford (technically saw this on Instagram but saw them constructing their outdoor space and was reminded): https://www.instagram.com/banditsnewyork/
  • A fried chicken place called Lucky Louie's where Sweet Corner Bakeshop was on Hudson: https://g.page/luckylouies?share
  • Leitao had been serving out of Upright Beer on Hudson for a while, but I noticed the signage now says Leitao: https://leitaonyc.com/

Things seem to be picking up...

Finally got to try Public Village (twice) the past week or two. Grab and go and brought back to the apartment. 

Considering I never liked (nor could I understand all the hype ) Kopitiam, it was way better than I expected. Great dumplings. Fine noodles. And I had the spareribs yesterday, which were also very good.

6 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Finally got to try Public Village (twice) the past week or two. Grab and go and brought back to the apartment. 

Considering I never liked (nor could I understand all the hype ) Kopitiam, it was way better than I expected. Great dumplings. Fine noodles. And I had the spareribs yesterday, which were also very good.

There are only two dishes I return to Kopitiam for... the oyster omelette and the pan mee. And the latter is only good if you eat it there, it doesn’t travel well. Other stuff ranges from mostly fine, if nothing earth-shattering, to occasionally bad - a recent menu addition of sesame noodles came across like overcooked spaghetti in some kind of flavorless, unseasoned oil. I get the impression that if I liked sweets I might like them more, since that seems to be their main jam, NPI.

They are cheap, though. Which may explain some of the popularity  

Public Village, I mostly like what I’ve had, with the caveat that the noodles won’t be to everyone’s taste. They’re veeeery soft. They kind of dissolve into pap when they hit the mouth. There’s a kind of comfort-food quality to that on a blustery winter day, but I don’t see myself seeking them out in warmer months. 

On a similar tip, there’s a new-ish weekends-only Malaysian place on Eldridge, Kuih Cafe. The menu is 98% sweets, though, with a token savory dish. This week, nasi lemak. Haven’t tried yet. 

• Like 1

Most recent new try was Migrant Kitchen, a Middle Eastern / Mexican mashup on Stone St. After some difficulty finding them (only to find after getting there you can only order online for pickup) I declare them not bad but not destination food. Actually, the “fawaffles” - falafel waffles - were straight up bad. But everything else we tried (fried chicken, carnitas, elote with labneh) was decent, if some of it was a smidge underseasoned for my taste. The chicken was the best of the lot, though it comes with the terrible fawaffles, so it’s a wash. 

If one’s in the area it could be an okay place to grab takeout to go eat at Elevated Acre, though. Compared to the rest of the generic bar food crap in that neighborhood, at least they’re doing something different.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Seth Gordon said:

Public Village, I mostly like what I’ve had, with the caveat that the noodles won’t be to everyone’s taste. They’re veeeery soft. They kind of dissolve into pap when they hit the mouth.

Only tried the Wan Za noodles dry style, so they hadn't quite moved into the pap stage yet, though I can see how easily they might.  Definitely find noodles from many Chinese restos as not even close to al dente. I don't even know if those types of noodles can be cooked al dente. They're either raw or...done?

Really like the tofu skin salad too.

On 9/8/2018 at 8:03 PM, Wilfrid said:

Papilles in the EV. It boasts a rabbit ballotine. Any intelligence?

Did you ever get any response?  Or go?  I'm curious.  Thanks.

Since 2018, yes I did go.

Since our current software doesn't seem to let active topics default to most recent posts I have found myself starting to respond to ancient stuff.