Places we're curious about

3 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Since 2018, yes I did go.

Since our current software doesn't seem to let active topics default to most recent posts I have found myself starting to respond to ancient stuff.

I think some threads just got pulled up by little drummer spam.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

Uh, guys.... my request is current.  I searched for the restaurant and found that Wilf’s 2018 post was the only reference point so I quoted it and asked about the place.  Any current info (or even remembrances of 2 year old visits)?

Okay, okay. I think I've been three times; I've not been back since it became tasting menu only, which must have been before the lockdown. It's kind of a rather high-end traditional French restaurant stuffed into a very narrow room. It's the kind of cuisine where vegetables are turned into colorful, decorative purees: so I guess old-fashioned, but not unpleasant.

Unfortunately, as it was post-Pink Pig, I don't have easy access to notes on what I ate, but I don't believe I saw the rabbit ballotine on the menu. It now looks a bit pricey for what it is.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

64203218774__189ACEF2-F30B-4F1F-A32C-2A0EB6489244.thumb.JPG.3400c45ab36bb8375810ba19193d1d44.JPG

With Bar Verde and Jajaja within walking distance, vegan Mexican may be an official EV/LES trend. If someone can just combine that with Korean rice dogs they’ll be sitting on a gold mine. 

13 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

The crowds outside this place never cease to amaze me...have you tried?

Not this place, but out in Flushing. There were a half-dozen or so places loudly advertising them last time I was out on that further stretch of Northern Blvd. That was... Summer 2019? I recall musing at the time they’d be the next fish-cone or soufflé pancake. I imagine there are probably thirty or forty places down that strip hawking them now, but I haven’t been out that way since The Before Times. 

Anyway, the couple I had (at Basac, IIRC) were nothing to write home about. One was cheesy and goopy, with the potato cubes, and we did the traditional(?) sugar sprinkle. If I were thirteen years old I’d probably love it. The squid-ink (probably just food coloring) dog was cute, with the hot dog sliced so it curled up like tentacles. Flavor was nothing to write home about. I honestly couldn’t tell what the dough was made of. Wheat, rice..?