Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

2 hours ago, small h said:

Jolly Rancher. I don't know enough about Reisling (or wine in general, really) to compare it to any other kind. Except in the broadest terms. And there's only about a half-cup left. Maybe I'll just drink the damn stuff and be done with it! I am no stranger to suffering.

1/2 cup could be just right for a pan sauce, along with some stock or water.  With enough maillardy bits in there and some Dijon mustard emulsified in, the sweetness will be fine, even welcome.

• 1 month later...

So I was about to make a rez at Angie Mar’s new place when I saw it’s a $185 prix fixe for what appears to be three courses. At least I assume three. They only list two on the website, but I’m guessing there’s a dessert included. So... I think we’ll wait.

Had been looking forward to it, since she was putting out the best food of her career during The Outdoor Era. The Trois Chevaux menu... just reading it might have given me gout. Foie gras as an entree, sheesh.

And bringing back a dress code, the same week Le Bernardin drops theirs. I dunno... 

I hope she’s dumped all the dithiapentane from the kitchen at those prices.

9 hours ago, Seth Gordon said:

So I was about to make a rez at Angie Mar’s new place

There's a cute piece about her visiting Jacques, for his opinion on a few dishes, in this week's New Yorker.

I guess that's why she can charge so much.

Pépin delivered his appraisal. “Your cooking is very sincere, very straightforward,” he said. “It’s very honest in many ways.”

It was only lunchtime, so he wasn't into his cups yet.

12 hours ago, Seth Gordon said:

So I was about to make a rez at Angie Mar’s new place when I saw it’s a $185 prix fixe for what appears to be three courses. At least I assume three. They only list two on the website, but I’m guessing there’s a dessert included. So... I think we’ll wait.

I guess that's how she can afford her G Wagen and all the parking tickets she racks up on it.

• Like 1

Chef Angie Mar is renowned for her vision and unequivocally downtown interpretation of fine dining.

While ties are not required for the Main Room and Bar Experiences, we kindly request that dinner jackets are worn while you enjoy your time with us.

How could someone put those two sentences on the same website with a straight face? Nothing says "downtown" like requiring dinner jackets!

Is she seriously using the phrase “dinner jacket” in its classic definition?  What is the age of the target guest?    I can’t think if a two or three star room where you wouldn’t look like a dork in a “dinner jacket”.

(It is pretty funny/telling/“ironic” if you’re illiterate like the copy writer that in trying to reimpose formality they show they don’t know anything about it.  Underlines the fake dress up/role play aspect of the requirement.  Not that it bothers me.)

39 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I’m wearing what I wear everywhere and I’m sure it will be fine. 

Of course.   My mantra is the football rec: “ Act like you’ve been there before.”

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

I’m wearing what I wear everywhere and I’m sure it will be fine. 

You just need to read more carefully:

we kindly request that dinner jackets are worn while you enjoy your time with us.

So the dinner jacket requirement is (US) moot. 

• Haha 1