Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

1 hour ago, small h said:

Just curious what your objection is, 'cause it looks like a nice Chinese restaurant to me.

I’m not seeing reason for the trepidation either. It looks… fine. Maybe a little generic, at worst. 

French 37 is from Golden Age Hospitality … they’re kind of all over the place (Le Crocodile, Acme, Tijuana Picnic, Ray’s…) so who knows what we’re in for with that. Nobody’s solved 37 Canal yet, good luck to ‘em… 

I retract all previous statements (where I was obviously wrong - it seems to be well loved on this board - I had no idea!) and wish them all the luck in the world.

My trepidation is that it's another bar because the application is for a liquor license. Like 37 French, like the place going into Mission's old space, like the guys that want to expand one of the horrendous bars on Essex, etc. etc.

You WANT your downstairs Chinese restaurant to have a liquor license!

Speaking of which, I had dinner last week in another neighborhood Shanghainese place with an aggressive cocktail program (which, to be clear, is very much not the same thing as a very good one) on the UWS, and while the place was in no way great or excellent, it was GOOD (if you're in the area):

http://tridimwest.com/

I came across this a couple of doors east of the still closed Sardi’s, and it looks like the perfect storm.

https://www.bacallsnyc.com

Food cooked with “Jewish-Romanian flair” and served in large portions, plus a nightly show by Sammy’s alum Dani Luv. I eventually found the steaks (it calls itself a steakhouse) well down the enormous menu, past the chopped liver.

Oh, and a nightclub in the basement which closes at 10pm.

Note that this supposed theater-district steakhouse doesn't even start serving steaks until after 8 PM (i.e., not pre-theater).

Not that it's a problem for me, but it's surprising to see as much pork on the menu as there is.

I'm certainly there!

10 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Not that it's a problem for me, but it's surprising to see as much pork on the menu as there is.

It's like the scene in To Be or Not to Be where the Jack Benny character is gratuitously shown ordering a ham and cheese sandwich -- which could only have been inserted for the purpose of signalling that despite being played by Jack Benny, the Benny character (a Pole during World War II) wasn't meant to be taken as Jewish.

Oh yes, the after 8 thing. That almost makes sense. The pre-theater crowd isn’t doing $70 strips, but they have a selling point once that crowd has gone.

My fascination of course is the many ways in which it attempts to remind clients of Sammy’s (whether there is any ownership connection I don’t know).

17 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Wait a minute.  Didn’t that space formerly belong to Blue Ribbon?   COULD IT BE??????

Yes, still does. I wonder if they'll get the spirit of Guy Fieri to do Tuesdays until they can get Wilfrid to complain.