Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

Anyone tried...

2112156685_IMG_47622.thumb.jpeg.2819c25de4db984e0e54d1b8b4fbd698.jpeg

Nuan Xin?  Corner (NW) of Eldridge and Hester Sts.( @Seth Gordon?? ) Looks like there are 4 locations scattered between Brooklyn and Manhattan.  

I actually enjoyed Joe's Steam Rice Roll (which apparently is still open), when I tried it a few years ago.

And they (like the soba noodle place) also have a story about their raw materials...

Nuan Xin Rice Roll always believe in the blending of taste and health. Purple rice is one of more than 40,000 varieties of rice. It comes originally with a scent and sweetness. The purple rice was served to the emperor in the ancient China, thus earning its name— the “forbidden rice”. The purple rice is a very good source of carbohydrate, have almost no fat or cholesterol, and is a good source of protein too.

These are different from the steamed rice rolls at Joe's, which I love. Nuan Xin serves Taiwanese-style rice rolls called fan tuan, which are kind of like sushi burritos but usually filled with meats/vegetables. Win Son Bakery makes an excellent version for breakfast.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Anyone tried...

2112156685_IMG_47622.thumb.jpeg.2819c25de4db984e0e54d1b8b4fbd698.jpeg

Nuan Xin?  Corner (NW) of Eldridge and Hester Sts.( @Seth Gordon?? ) Looks like there are 4 locations scattered between Brooklyn and Manhattan.  

I actually enjoyed Joe's Steam Rice Roll (which apparently is still open), when I tried it a few years ago.

And they (like the soba noodle place) also have a story about their raw materials...

I tried some purple rice rolls in the Before Times in Sunset Park. Can’t remember if it was Nuan Xin, though. A few places hawking them sprang up like mushrooms overnight, as seems to happen with This Year’s Taiwanese Food Fad restaurants. As I recall, the one we popped into had replaced one of the Last Year’s Taiwanese Food Fad joints - squid-on-a-stick or neon blue lightbulb drinks or braised eel in waffle cones or something. 

Anyway, the ones we tried I just found to be carb bombs, and the fillings a bit greasy. There was duck with too much mayo and eel with “cheese” of some sort. I imagine were I 22 and coked up at 3AM I’d have loved that shit. As a rational adult, eh. (But I have no memory which place it was. It may not have been NX.)

6 hours ago, Seth Gordon said:

I imagine were I 22 and coked up at 3AM I’d have loved that shit. As a rational adult, eh. 

I don't remember really caring about eating when I was 22 26 and coked up...but I guess at the end of the night, what the hell! (Not for nothing, but I was living in suburban San Jose at the time, and we'd always be at someone's house, drinking and smoking all night, so the whole 3 AM get something to eat was out of the question).

Of course, this all brought to mind yesterday's article about "upended dining rules..."

Eric Sze, an owner of the Taiwanese restaurant 886 on St. Marks Place in Manhattan, was amazed at the energy that materialized when it reopened fully. “People were throwing parties for no reason,” he said. “‘Party for 20? What’s the occasion?’ ‘Oh, I just miss my friends.’ It was every night, every week, for a solid month and a half.”

And those parties didn’t hold back. “The first day we opened indoor dining in the spring, the very first night, a six-top sat inside and started doing coke on the table middinner,” Mr. Sze said. “We weren’t even mad. We were like, ‘Welcome back!’”

The question is, what would I do with that six-top now, if that were my restaurant?

10 hours ago, small h said:

Yin Ji Chang Fen

Ahhh - that's more along the lines of the one I'm remembering from Sun Light Bakery on East Broadway. Where the various rolls couldn't have been more than $1 or $1.50 when it was fancy. Actually, Wu's doesn't make a bad one with fresh shrimp!  But it will hold up a to-go lunch order, as I guess they make they a la minute in the kitchen.

2 hours ago, small h said:

Curious, if not exactly hopeful. In the Suffolk Arms space.

https://www.themayflynyc.com/

I looked at the website for another bar owned by the same group, and it appears unlikely the cocktails at this new one will be very good. But maybe?

Judging by their other two bars (Juke Bar and Trinity Pub) I can’t say I’m even curious. They seem to have formula working for them that involves trivia nights, mozzarella stix, and frozen strawberry margaritas. 

I tore through the movie quotes category like a hot knife through butter. And was not too shabby at corporate logos, either.

I and my friend Roger were a force at the Night Cafe trivia contests. That's how I got my first grill, the Heineken Keg-O-Cue. It served me well for many years.