Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

12 hours ago, small h said:

Because of its location? 

I don't know about the name of this cocktail, which apparently will grace Lullaby's menu...

The cocktails (most cost $15) will have functional names, like the Rum Drink and the Whiskey Drink, that belie their complex makeup. (The Whiskey Drink includes whiskey, oloroso sherry, mascarpone cheese, parsley, lime and agave syrup.)

Maybe call the "whiskey drink" the vomit drink?

I always like The Magician - during their happy hour. It's actually what Lullaby claims they want to be - a true dive bar.

151 Rivington was a dive bar before it was Nitecap. I like the space, and I'm interested to see whether it can be a sort of replacement for Suffolk Arms. Yes, that whiskey drink looks...unusual. But I'm sure I'll find something I like. I still miss Suffolk's Staff Meal. And White Slab Palace's Bloody Beet, but that's going back a ways.

I think we've discussed their drink list before. I tried the Trinidad Sour, but I almost always prefer savory or vegetable-based drinks, at least when I'm out.  The Staff Meal was carrot-based. Recently I had bbf's Japanese curry fizz, which I also liked a lot.

2 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

Because of its location? 

I don't know about the name of this cocktail, which apparently will grace Lullaby's menu...

Maybe call the "whiskey drink" the vomit drink?

I always like The Magician - during their happy hour. It's actually what Lullaby claims they want to be - a true dive bar.

I don’t think they’re claiming they want to be a dive bar- they want to combine high and low (stink of a dive bar and bad drinks / drink ideas with expensive ingredients and prices?)

41 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

was there another Scandy theme bar downtown before white slab palace? 

Also a bar? With a good drink menu? And I don't have to drive home...magical sounding.

Maybe you're thinking of SKÁL, corner of Ludlow and Canal?

On 1/16/2022 at 9:59 AM, Anthony Bonner said:

was there another Scandy theme bar downtown before white slab palace? 

Also a bar? With a good drink menu? And I don't have to drive home...magical sounding.

Maybe Good World? Fun little barstaurant. Skal came along a bit later. 

On 3/1/2021 at 2:12 PM, small h said:

Oh! I thought that menu was for Crab Du Jour. My bad. I'm waiting for Crab Du Jour to open, 'cause they deliver. The other is pickup only.

Shit - I had the over/under at 6 months...

Lower East Side: Following a year of rapid expansion in the five boroughs, Cajun seafood boil chain Crab Du Jour has shuttered its storefront at 384 Grand Street, at Suffolk Street, according to Bowery Boogie. The closure leaves the chain with just under 20 locations in New York state.

Will they never learn?

There was never anyone in there. I thought they might be doing a booming takeout business, but I guess not. We ordered from them twice. It wasn't good enough to make it into my small group of "regular" delivery places.

50 minutes ago, small h said:

There was never anyone in there. I thought they might be doing a booming takeout business, but I guess not. We ordered from them twice. It wasn't good enough to make it into my small group of "regular" delivery places.

What’s on that list?