Places we're curious about

33 minutes ago, Diancecht said:

former executive chef of del postomelissa rodriguez will be opening al coro in the same space as del posto 

supposedly later in 2022

There will be two restaurants and a cocktail bar in the Del Posto space. First, opening next month, is a casual restaurant called Mel. The fine dining restaurant Al Coro will open in the spring.

We loved her food at Del Posto. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I see that their Murray Hill/3rd Ave. location is a few blocks north of our apartment. We’ve probably passed it many times but didn’t notice it. As @Sneakeater pointed out, there isn’t a main course category. However, I do see some things that I would consider a main; for example, the lasagna and the timbale of eggplant parm. And we could certainly do a salad and pizza for lunch.  We won’t come back to the city until April. If they have tables outside (as shown in one of the photos), when the weather is conducive to outdoor dining, we’ll check it out. 

9 hours ago, rozrapp said:

I see that their Murray Hill/3rd Ave. location is a few blocks north of our apartment. We’ve probably passed it many times but didn’t notice it. As @Sneakeater pointed out, there isn’t a main course category. However, I do see some things that I would consider a main; for example, the lasagna and the timbale of eggplant parm. And we could certainly do a salad and pizza for lunch.  We won’t come back to the city until April. If they have tables outside (as shown in one of the photos), when the weather is conducive to outdoor dining, we’ll check it out. 

I thought you might know of the chef/owner, since it appears he cooked at I Trulli.

11 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Mm, nothing I can eat there. 

Polpette di vitello 17 Organic veal meat-ball, tomato sauce, melted provolone cheese

Involtini alla siciliana 19 Roasted pork loin rolled with mix cured meat and smoked mozz

Carpaccio di Bresaola 16 Cured beef, lemon, arugula, shaved parmesan, extra v. olive oil

Carpaccio di Polipo 21 Mediterranean octopus carpaccio, with orange, fennel, moroccan olives salad and “salmoriglio” sauce

Caprese 18 buffalo mozzarella, tomato, basil

16 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

It looks good, but they forgot the segundi!

We're not as strict as you; sometimes we'll have a primi, a salad, a pasta, a dessert, and pretend it's a meal. Since you know, we're not Italians in Italy, some of whom probably don't eat the "traditional" way at every single meal.

In case you didn't already know, Charles was once wine director for I Trulli and ran the restaurant owned wine store that was across the street years ago. (and his wife is Italian cookbook writer Michele Scicolone).  Several years before that gig, he ran the liquor store on Montegue St in Brooklyn Heights, 2 blocks from our apt., where we bought our wine in the 80's.  His recommendations were very helpful to us on our first trip to Rome, although our experience at his favorite place, Checchino dal 1887, wasn't that great.  On our more recent trip to Sicily (2018), we stayed at the Firriato estate, partially due to his recommendation of their wines.  

At any rate, in a belated answer to "joethefoodie", yes we ate at Norma, but it won't be of much help since it was in 2018 & it was with the woman who arranged our Sicily trip, who was friends with the owner (& Charles) & ordered all the food.  I remember it as being very good.  And mostly comp'ed.

• 2 weeks later...