Places we're curious about

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

Posted Images

Alex Stupak thinks THIS looks like Donohue's?????

What does that look like, practically? Ink-dark hummus made from chana daal and black tahini to start, or a seven-vegetable salatim including turmeric-tinged trumpet mushrooms and sweet potatoes with coriander.

Donohue’s in not a “hole in the wall” and if Stupak actually calls it his “favorite restaurant of all time” he’s a liar or a fool. The most charitable I can be is blame his publicist.

Yet, if the Donohue family ever decided to sell, and some credible Brooklyn restaurateur decided to buy it and make it an actual good restaurant, even people here -- not stupid tasteless UES douchebags, but people here -- would automatically say that the new owners were going to "run it into the ground".

(Which is not to say I don't love going to Donohue's myself.  But I'm never gonna tell anyone it's my favorite restaurant of all time.  Only that it's kind of amazing it doesn't suck.)  (Not that this is my favorite restaurant of all time either, but at least the food at Botin is memorable in its way.)  (Remember when Lost New York's Jeremiah said my neighborhood Dominican lunch counter made the best food they'd ever eaten?  It isn't even the best Dominican in New York -- by a lot!)

4 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

(Which is not to say I don't love going to Donohue's myself.

But then the only reason I ever go there is that there isn't anywhere else not vomit-inducing (for any of a number of reasons) near the Park Avenue Armory.

And lemme ask what the fuck he (Stupak) is talking about here...

And don’t forget the hot dog: Mischa’s is made of brisket and topped with kimchee. “At this point,” Stupak wonders, “why is sauerkraut still seen as more New York–y than kimchee? There’s no way it is.”

Ummmm - yes, sauerkraut is more New York than kimchee, Alex.

13 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Alex Stupak thinks THIS looks like Donohue's?????

I still want to know when the Donohue family is going to open their second restaurant on 72nd next to Gray's Papaya. That building has been under renovation since at least 2019 which is the last time I was at Donahue's and they mentioned it was "close to being ready". We saw a production of Judgement Day at the Armory over Christmas that was terrific

14 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

But then the only reason I ever go there is that there isn't anywhere else not vomit-inducing (for any of a number of reasons) near the Park Avenue Armory.

Sel et Poivre, which is practically next door, used to be good,* but I know hearty French bistro food doens't always suit the occasion.

*Why hasn't someone coined a abbreviation for "before the pandemic"? B.P. would work; before COVID obviously wouldn't.

Upon entering PALPAL, it is quite obvious you are in a Hand Hospitality restaurant. They have very specific aesthetic, for sure.

We wound up there for lunch because HNIH was mobbed and this was around the corner. We were already seated when we found they were not doing the lunch sets shown on their website, but rather just handed the dinner menu.

Lunch was fine, if underwhelming - a serviceable lamb bulgogi, one-note spicy squid, flavorless steamed buns, and the curiously named “cilantro kimchi” which as far as we could tell contained no kimchi whatsoever.

The menu is unfancy and mostly traditional, with a couple Japanese and Chinese touches here and there, which I guess is what they’re getting at when they call it “a new take on Korean food” on their website. Hardly. Though there was some vile-smelling truffle oil something on the table next to us, which may be new to someone somewhere.

I remain curious, though, as other items on the menu were grabbing my attention. It’s Hand, so of course we’ll give it another shot eventually. 

• 4 weeks later...