omnivorette

Places we're curious about

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. Nice enough room, too. Chef came out to say hello and show me the men, nice guy. (It's not open for lunch, so I was peeking in).

• Like 6

Everyone now goes there for their blood sausage (don't we, Orik?).

Yes we do. Between that, the kasha kishka and the occasional Soon Dae, I think I'm consuming as much blood as my transylvanian ancestors.

Guest Suzanne F
Everyone now goes there for their blood sausage (don't we, Orik?).

Yes we do. Between that, the kasha kishka and the occasional Soon Dae, I think I'm consuming as much blood as my transylvanian ancestors.

Do you get the kishka at Teresa's, :o or somewhere else?

New pizza place opening near us, on the east side of 1st Ave. near 92nd St. Walked by today - they are opening tomorrow. Went in and talked to the owner and the pizzaman, had a long discussion about crust. They gave me 3 different experiments to try - I voted for the thinnest crust and told them it needs to be more done, with a little char. They're working toward that. Not bad at all...decent sauce, not to sweet, good amount of cheese, meaning not too much and not too little. Please please let them get it right, or at least decent.

The number of Romanian restaurants in Sunnyside has just gotten smaller by one. Harmony, 39-23 Queens Blvd., a standby for Romanian treats such as mici sausage and skirt steak, has closed. Harmony II, 47-57 41st St., also in Sunnyside, 718-784-4651, its sister restaurant, will now be rechristened Harmony, and should continue to be just as good.

I was unaware that there are any Romanian restaurants left here. Maybe worth a try...

Suzanne -- both at Teresa's* and across the street and then cooked at home.

* the trouble with Teresa's is that you always end up with some uncertainty as to whether you're composed more of yourself or of the food you've just eaten, due to the size of the dishes.

The Tides hot dog offshoot is opening much quicker than I expected (remember, this was a Mouthfuls scoop):

"The nearby DASH Dogs, slated to open later this month, shares a similar philosophy. Owners Steven Yee and Allen Leung, of the seafood shack Tides, tasted dozens of tube steaks before they settled on Empire Kosher, and their virtuous veggie dog comes from a Buddhist temple in Queens. Following in Gray’s footsteps, DASH will offer a two-dog special for $3.50

127 Rivington St., nr. Norfolk St.; 212-254-8885"

From Omni's link above. I wonder if they are sticking with the idea of making their own buns?

Especially for Caseophile:  note the hotdog joints opening.

Got it. Thanks.

Nice of them to open the hot dog places so close together, to facilitate my tasting. :o

Barça 18. The Steve Hanson/Eric Ripert restaurant opening shortly in the old Park Avalon space.

Or maybe not.

Bar Ahn--right next door to Tia Pol. The owner told my neighbor that they will be serving 'Korean style' food. This place is even smaller than Tia Pol, if you can believe it.