Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

so now that i'm going to be around more, i started to think where i want to eat. the one restaurnat i'm really excited and curious about is Marcos Samuelsson's Merkato 55 - finally something new and different - but that's going to be a while. in the meantime:

Grayz (sorta know what to expect but Kunz cooked some of the most memorable meals of my life.)

Pamplona

Fiamma - never had Trabocchi's food. looking forward to it

Allen & Delancey - should be opening very soon

Graffiti

possibly Alto, Bar Fry and Market Table

and down the line Bistro Benoit, Bar Boulud, John Dory

Just to be clear, Kuntz is NOT the chef at Grayz. As it was explained to me as I was trying the Grayz menu at the bar at Cafe Gray over the summer, it is NOT Kuntz's menu.

I quite liked the food, BTW -- but thought the prices ridiculously high for small plates. (Big surprise.)

oh, really? his name is all over the place (and website) so i'm curious who the chef(s) is/are. of course, the execution is other chefs but who created the menu then?

i love it when they use a big chef's name to promote the place and then say it's not really him. of course, the press only wants the big name :rolleyes:

Just to be clear, Kuntz is NOT the chef at Grayz. As it was explained to me as I was trying the Grayz menu at the bar at Cafe Gray over the summer, it is NOT Kuntz's menu.

That may be what you were told, but given the way the place is being launched, it's not really going to fly:

Grayz will serve the dining and entertaining needs of midtown Manhattan

like no other place for three key reasons:... and the completely original, critically acclaimed food and drink of Chef Gray Kunz. All walks of business and society will gather at Grayz for important moments of their lives, knowing that from a simple cocktail to a milestone event, their expectations will be surpassed each time by Chef Kunz and his staff.   .... The dining experience, delivered by Chef Kunz and his dedicated team, will demonstrate a strong relationship between food and drink, using the finest products and the most advanced technology available.

Grayz

He has taken ownership of the cuisine, whether he wanted to or not.

with that anount of detail? i doubt it. i think it's been open for a couple of weeks now, maybe less. but, geez, they split a $12 plate and a $6 dessert? i know i know, they had 2 glasses of wine too - just hope they are out of there in less than an hour and not at prime time. otherwise the place won't last with 18 seats and that sort of check average...

but, geez, they split a $12 plate and a $6 dessert? i know i know, they had 2 glasses of wine too - just hope they are out of there in less than an hour and not at prime time.

Two interesting and delicious dishes and two and a half free glasses of wine later, we were quite pleased to be conversing in a cozy corner; we stayed almost until closing.

There are words for people like Maureen Fleming. Selfish is one of them and the other can't be used in polite society.