Places we're curious about

A thread on eGullet made me curious about La Lunchonette [sic]. I haven't been in a long time, but I wonder if it is still run by the same French couple.

Brace yourselves for the photo here: like the poster, I find it very hard to believe it's foie gras at all:

My eyes!!!

seems like the cat was trying to warn him away. looks like roadkill soaked in cheap motor oil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Kyo-Ya

Rouge Tomate

Dirt Candy

Sushi Azabu

Sorella

Motorino

Breaburn - i liked Brian Bistrong's food a lot at Citarella and the Harrison but the word on his own place is decidedly mixed, tilting to negative. TONY review today was baaaaad. seems like they have not hit the right tone for the area, trying to find a compromise between the chef's high-end culinary background and current market and ending up in what RG called "high-end middle-of-the-road". i guess i'll wait and see.

for some reason, i have absolutely no interest in 10 Downing. Maybe because Porchetta was so lame.

I'll absolutely be trying Kyo-Ya at some point.

RG awarded four stars to Rouge Tomate, and even by her standards that's pretty significant. However, it's a bit expensive, so I'm waiting for confirming evidence before I reserve.

Sorella has my attention...Dirt Candy not so much. I have a reservation at 10 Downing on Friday, though the GF may be preempting us with another plan. Based on reviews so far, I have no interest in Braeburn.

Not really the right thread, but Eater notes a new biergarten coming to Red Hook.

The name? Grindhaus.

:no no no:

Of course, since it's German, the first syllable will be pronounced to rhyme with wind. If I have any say in the matter.

Additional details from Eater today -

Last week a little upcoming Red Hook restaurant called Grindhaus made it into the plywood report, much to the delight of its owner, the first time restaurateur Erin Norris. She emails us to let in on a few more details: it will be a "boisterous sausage parlor", the meat will be freshly ground from "quality sources", the projected opening is in late October, and Norris came up with the idea when she was a manager at the bar Bait and Tackle and decided she needed a new direction in her life.

Oh yes. I like the sound of that.

October came and went but no Grindhaus. It appears we'll have to wait until March to enjoy the "boisterous sausage parlor."

But bratwurst boosters will get to see the byproduct of Erin Norris’s labor in March, when she expects to open Grindhaus on Van Brunt Street between Visitation Place and Pioneer Street — a restaurant that exists in tribute to Germany’s greatest contribution to the culinary arts.

Article.

and Co. if it ever manages to open.

heh, i got tired of putting it on the list.

but i bet it will be good when it does open.

Opening January 2, according to a sign on the door. There was a private party in there last night.

There's a new trattoria & wine bar in Astoria called Vesta that's gotten good reviews (and a decent write-up from RG). You can get wines by the bottle, glass, or "shot". N and I are going there on Christmas Eve for their Feast of the Seven Fishes dinner.

• 2 weeks later...
and Co. if it ever manages to open.

heh, i got tired of putting it on the list.

but i bet it will be good when it does open.

Opening January 2, according to a sign on the door. There was a private party in there last night.

I walked past the other night a little after 5:30 and it was jumping. And reports indicate a wait of up to an hour. Which I am not doing for pizza. May have to wait until the initial frenzy dies down.