Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

Ost

If you're me, a Czech (OK, Slovakian) cafe run by two Slovakian ex-models and a stand-up comedian on the corner of 12th & A gets you curious.

I have walked past several times. It's in a corner spot which has seen a series of bar/restaurants come and go. Looking through the window, I somehow missed the former models, but it looked like a nice place for coffee and sandwiches and cakes. I don't know what more they offer.

Tables for Two makes Cafe Select sound unusual at least. Chäschüechile. Flädli. Neither of those means "farm egg", anyway.

Any opinions?

By the way, I can't resist displaying the full URL:

url=http://www.newyorker.com/arts/reviews/tables/2009/01/12/090112gota%5b_GOAT_tables_lyon

Goat? Tables? Lyon?

Tasty, potentially. :cool:

Ost

If you're me, a Czech (OK, Slovakian) cafe run by two Slovakian ex-models and a stand-up comedian on the corner of 12th & A gets you curious.

I have walked past several times. It's in a corner spot which has seen a series of bar/restaurants come and go. Looking through the window, I somehow missed the former models, but it looked like a nice place for coffee and sandwiches and cakes. I don't know what more they offer.

Two of the owners told me that their Eastern European pastries come from the Hungarian Pastry Shop, which is better loved by Columbia students for its bottomless cup of coffee (they're CU grads); some other pastries come from Balthazar. Eventually, they added, they hope to serve salads, sandwiches, and other items that can be scooped, sliced, or otherwise simply cobbled together, since they have no kitchen.

I may have known this before the holidays, but it got lost somewhere along the way. The revised edition of Seymour Burton, some kind of fish restaurant, has elected to call itself...

Butcher Bay.

Well, what do you think? Seymour Burton was not the best of names.

Tables for Two makes Cafe Select sound unusual at least. Chäschüechile. Flädli. Neither of those means "farm egg", anyway.

We'll try and go this week, the food looks potentially better than the very pleasant Katja Cafe (and certainly better than at good old Loreley)

The way things are going, we need a separate restaurant names thread.

In the meantime, I am curious about pronouncing the new West Village project, Scuderia. Place your emphases now.

It wouldn't be skoo-DER-ee-a?