Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

I dropped by Elsa for one quick drink. Both cocktailians and barflies will be sorry to hear that there's no seating at the foreshortened bar just inside the door. Some booths face it, and they're probably the best places to sit. As you advance into the room, there are scattered tables and plenty of standing space - and people do stand. The seating, unfortunately, looks and feels like it was borrowed from Coney Island's boardwalk - uncomfortable wooden benches.

I tried one of the house cocktails, Against Nature, a refreshing enough potation based on Mekong rice whiskey. On this one occasion, a very loud party was developing, along with loud music, so I didn't stay. It was hard not to get the impression that the bar is still attracting the same age group as its predecessor - Hanger Bar - and I doubt if there was anyone as old as 29 in the room. And almost everyone was drinking beer. Of course, this might be a completely unrepresentative snapshot of the place.

There is also some deal about a bespoke tailor operating a business - also called Against Nature - out of the front of the bar.

Anyway, right now there is no reason to choose this ahead of Louis 649 in the same neighborhood, except that the cocktails are one or two dollars cheaper.

Incidentally, Elsa is not the first place I've visited recently which is doing well out of the Martin Codax Albarino - a nice white, which I've recommended here and elsewhere. In the store, $10 the bottle; at Elsa, and other places around town, $10 the glass. <_<

• 2 weeks later...
And just a step from there, Absinthe Wine Bar, offering French petits plats at 111 First Avenue.

Curious place. Open about four weeks, I think, presenting itself as a wine bar.

There is no wine list. The staff will make recommendations if you tell them whether you'd like white or red. I went up to the bar itself to try to read some labels. "Oh," we have much more than you see here," I was told.

Right. I have to say, if I'd invested in the place, I'd have sat at a keyboard all day until I'd typed a wine-list.

Reminded me of the original incarnation of White Star. Countless top shelf premium liquors available, if only you could guess what they were.

The contents and presentation of their menu keeps changing almost on a daily basis, and I'm not sure if it was a lawyer-driven change, but the logo on the door now says Absinthe La Boheme. Odd.

Perhaps someone can help with this---a friend was going on the other night about a 'wine bar on St Marks' but he was vague and after wracking my brain I certainly have no idea---anyone have any idea what he's talking about?

The contents and presentation of their menu keeps changing almost on a daily basis, and I'm not sure if it was a lawyer-driven change, but the logo on the door now says Absinthe La Boheme. Odd.

Initial press releases about a small plates menu are no longer operative. There are two or three snacks like nuts and olives, but otherwise its an appetizers/entree menu.

it actually is good. haven't been in about two years but used to go a couple times a year. it's not getting it off the dayboat in nova scotia good but it is a very fun place and quite tasty. an old nyc gem.

• 1 month later...
How can I not have noticed Solex? I must walk past all the time. 6th and 1st Avenue. :shrug:

A few months ago they started realizing they weren't being noticed. The first step was to remove some of the metal strips that were hiding them (I imagine originally designed to convey exclusivity):

SOLEX_the%20place-st1.jpg

Then they removed even more of them and tried to keep the door open. Yesterday they finally surrendered to the masses - no more metal strips and the place was full.

At the same time, I noticed that the place that used to be veloce, then room4dessert, then veloce again, is now called club veloce and was given a more "upscale" decor in a Lil'Kim sort of way. Very strange.