Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
The way things are going, we need a separate restaurant names thread.

In the meantime, I am curious about pronouncing the new West Village project, Scuderia. Place your emphases now.

It wouldn't be skoo-DER-ee-a?

I went to Scuderia for drinks after dinner last night. Had a couple of glasses of wine--an unexciting negroamaro and a good falanghina. The fellow sitting next us at the bar was eating a pasta that looked pretty good, he said it was great. The staff is incredibly nice and friendly and the bartender topped off our pours.

The decor is a little stark, but it's a nice place to hang out and chat for an hour or so.

I forgot to ask how to pronounce 'Scuderia'.

I was curious about the Russian Tea Room. I popped in yesterday for lunch, and I was glad to see the place for myself. The food on the other hand just about made what I'd call ordinary. (I had an overcooked omelette that had a tablespoon for salmon caviar, ditto amount of sour cream and a slice of potato rosti on the side.) Eta: A $28 rip-off.

I was curious about the Russian Tea Room. I popped in yesterday for lunch, and I was glad to see the place for myself. The food on the other hand just about made what I'd call ordinary. (I had an overcooked omelette that had a tablespoon for salmon caviar, ditto amount of sour cream and a slice of potato rosti on the side.) Eta: A $28 rip-off.

Has anyone besides me noticed caviar prices being through the roof lately? A caviar dish at Perry St brunch carried a $17 supplement and Marea also had some pretty insane caviar prices.

Who's there since Gary left (more than a year ago)?

Ah, right, I had completely lost track of what that was.

Solex is now Veloce Pizza (I don't know if it's open yet, but that's what the sign says)

I knew but had forgotten (until I went by today) that a branch of Bar Carrera is in the doomy spot on Houston which was briefly an ersatz Di Fara.

Has anyone heard/been to "Southern Spice" out by Flushing Hospital?

This Sietsema review makes me want to go on a dead sprint

There's a massive CH thread that's been running since the end of January. There's lots of backing and forthing about the provenance of various dishes with people trying to show how much they know. There's also lots of good information on the food. My take is that the place is pretty good although in an inconvenient location unless you've got a car. I've got it on my List.