Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

Has anyone heard/been to "Southern Spice" out by Flushing Hospital?

This Sietsema review makes me want to go on a dead sprint

There's a massive CH thread that's been running since the end of January. There's lots of backing and forthing about the provenance of various dishes with people trying to show how much they know. There's also lots of good information on the food. My take is that the place is pretty good although in an inconvenient location unless you've got a car. I've got it on my List.

I love chowhound.

their palak paneer isn't as good as mina's

I'm willing to go out on a limb and call this the best Indian restaurant in America

Its impossible for me to say this w/o sounding like a prick - but you gotta laugh at people proclaiming all sorts of accolades for a S. Indian place after eating N. Indian food.

I have the pleasure of driving through that area regularly so I'll check it out sooner rather then later.

yes, i've been reading about it for a few months and keep meaning to go...but then i forget about it....am reminded, want to go, forget, etc etc. it certainly seems like a destination place. i am going to name it as the little pepper of indian food. just because.

Has anyone heard/been to "Southern Spice" out by Flushing Hospital?

This Sietsema review makes me want to go on a dead sprint

There's a massive CH thread that's been running since the end of January. There's lots of backing and forthing about the provenance of various dishes with people trying to show how much they know. There's also lots of good information on the food. My take is that the place is pretty good although in an inconvenient location unless you've got a car. I've got it on my List.

I love chowhound.

their palak paneer isn't as good as mina's

I'm willing to go out on a limb and call this the best Indian restaurant in America

Its impossible for me to say this w/o sounding like a prick - but you gotta laugh at people proclaiming all sorts of accolades for a S. Indian place after eating N. Indian food.

I have the pleasure of driving through that area regularly so I'll check it out sooner rather then later.

There's a massive CH thread that's been running since the end of January. There's lots of backing and forthing about the provenance of various dishes with people trying to show how much they know.

On Chowhound? You're kidding. I never would have imagined it.

Second funniest thing about that thread - the number of people who are raving about the buffet. Sorry guys but if their buffet is great it will be the first time I've ever seen that. Usually Indian buffet consists of last night's recycled entrees. At best it's OK. I question their judgment. Order a damn entree you cheapskates.

And we have our winner -

Went last Sun. Had a great meal. Ordered several of the dishes rec'd above. Told the waiter I'd read about the restaurant on line and he said, " On Chowhound?. Yeah , all those people come in and basically all order the same dishes." We, being some of "those people", vowed to expand our choices next visit.

The lemming instinct is strong on CH. "What should I order? What should I order???"

Order whatever the fuck you want. You're an adult and I would hope you've got well developed tastes by now. Order things that appeal to you. If they're good then you've made a pleasant discovery. If they're just OK then you can go back and have another meal - it's not a major tragedy.

I will give the CHers their share of the credit though. They were the ones who found this place - Sietsema followed their lead.

Second funniest thing about that thread - the number of people who are raving about the buffet. Sorry guys but if their buffet is great it will be the first time I've ever seen that. Usually Indian buffet consists of last night's recycled entrees. At best it's OK. I question their judgment. Order a damn entree you cheapskates.

And we have our winner -

Went last Sun. Had a great meal. Ordered several of the dishes rec'd above. Told the waiter I'd read about the restaurant on line and he said, " On Chowhound?. Yeah , all those people come in and basically all order the same dishes." We, being some of "those people", vowed to expand our choices next visit.

The lemming instinct is strong on CH. "What should I order? What should I order???"

Order whatever the fuck you want. You're an adult and I would hope you've got well developed tastes by now. Order things that appeal to you. If they're good then you've made a pleasant discovery. If they're just OK then you can go back and have another meal - it's not a major tragedy.

I will give the CHers their share of the credit though. They were the ones who found this place - Sietsema followed their lead.

ditto. on the lemmings, the kudos and the high hilarity.

This foodboard syndrome is hardly limited to Chowhound.

This foodboard syndrome is hardly limited to Chowhound.

No, but it seems to me more pronounced there.

No, but it seems to me more pronounced there.

Exactly. There's a needy desperation in the way they beg for recommendations. It's as if a visit to a restaurant is like a walk through a minefield. I wish I had a dollar for every naif who writes something like "Well, I really like pork loin but everyone told me to order the fried chicken so I ordered that instead. It was just OK." Gee, I guess you should have pleased yourself and had the pork.

In Chowhound's case, I think the need for recommendations might spring from the fact that so many of the restaurants discussed focus on cuisines with which the diners are not very familiar (although of course they'd never admit that). So they secretly feel that they can't trust their instincts, because who knows what's good at some restaurant featuring a kind of food you're not very familiar with?

Also, since Chowhound centers on "holes in the wall" that you might expect to have a few good things and a bunch of clinkers, guidance to particular dishes might seem more important than at a three-star restaurant where you could reasonably expect EVERYTHING to be good.

As for people who feel that way about other kinds of restaurants, I get the feeling that their dining opportunities may be limited by finances or location or other factors, so they feel like they really have to make their restaurant visits count. I don't have a lot of sympathy for that viewpoint, because to me the point of eating at a restaurant is that you can order what looks good to you at the time.

In Chowhound's case, I think the need for recommendations might spring from the fact that so many of the restaurants discussed focus on cuisines with which the diners are not very familiar (although of course they'd never admit that). So they secretly feel that they can't trust their instincts, because who knows what's good at some restaurant featuring a kind of food you're not very familiar with?

Also, since Chowhound centers on "holes in the wall" that you might expect to have a few good things and a bunch of clinkers, guidance to particular dishes might seem more important than at a three-star restaurant where you could reasonably expect EVERYTHING to be good.

As for people who feel that way about other kinds of restaurants, I get the feeling that their dining opportunities may be limited by finances or location or other factors, so they feel like they really have to make their restaurant visits count. I don't have a lot of sympathy for that viewpoint, because to me the point of eating at a restaurant is that you can order what looks good to you at the time.

Now you've gone and become all reasonable. I agree with most of that. The plaintive "what should I order????" posts come from people who don't seem to have much experience. The long time posters who I respect never make those type of requests.

... to me the point of eating at a restaurant is that you can order what looks good to you at the time.

That's it. Often it's what you feel like eating that trumps a dish that other people recommend. If I walked in to a restaurant and had to order from a list of dishes recommended by other people it would feel like a homework assignment.

One of the benefits of ethnic restaurants is that they're usually cheap. Even if money is an issue you can still eat your way around the menu over multiple visits until you find what you like. The fact that plenty of CH posters don't grasp that fact continues to amaze me. I put it down to insecurity. Come on - take a chance. What's the worst thing that can happen? If you walk into a place like Sri or Grand Sichuan it's really hard to order a bad meal.

If I walked in to a restaurant and had to order from a list of dishes recommended by other people it would feel like a homework assignment.

That's the impression I get from some of The Bloggers: like they're doing a homework assignment.