Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

Now usually those dishes are pretty good but often there are many other things on the menu that are just as good. If one of those is especially appealing to the person visiting a restaurant for the first time he'd miss out if he blindly followed the recommendations of people that don't share his taste.

On CH people regularly recommend the same 4 or 5 things at Sri. They rarely mention lots of dishes that I like very much. You've got to trust your own taste.

True, but how will you know whether a dish agrees with your dish until you've ordered it (therefore will be paying for it), and have tasted it? We've all ordered things that have manifested themselves in forms vastly different from what we had imagined, based on the menu (of course, the same happens with descriptions by people online).

[Yes, I'm playing Devil's advocate (somewhat).]

I mean, how many times have I gone to a restaurant and done exactly what Sneakeater does (order what I want based on what looks good to me), have a mediocre meal, and later be scolded by scores of regulars: "You mean, you DIDN'T get ________!? It's their best and ONLY good dish!!"? Now, if I lived in New York, and could afford to eat out regularly, that wouldn't be such a disappointment. I would just return and order anew. But for out-of-townsfolk (and this applies to visitors to any city), I don't see anything objectionable about doing a little "homework." Call me prudish and hyper-anal.

This is going to seem like the most stupid lawyerly hair-splitting, but it's one thing to read someone's write-up of a restaurant, where they rave about a dish, and to think, "that sounds good -- I want to try that." It's another thing to ask, "I'm going to X restaurant. What should I order?"

How the fuck do I know what you should order?

If you go to Ssam, you should order the pork buns. eta: If you go to Ssam and they have the snails appetizer, you should get it, because odds are you won't find many places serving snails that well.

If you go to Grand Sichuan, you should order the Au Zhou or Gui Zhou chicken.

If you go to Sri you should order the soy sauce noodles, or one of the pork dishes that I can't think of.

If you go to Babbo, you should get the garganelli or the pork chop.

If you go Great Jones Cafe, you should get the blackened catfish, kale and 2 bloody marys.

if you go to Katzs, you should get the pastrami on rye, with lettuce, tomato and lots of Miracle Whip.

Is this really so odd? If someone said, "I'm going to Grand Szechuan tonight and I think I'm going to get the chicken with broccoli," would you think it so odd to reply, " you really should try . . . ."

What if by David Chang or Thomas Keller?

It's a burger.

It can be very good, but in the end, it's only a burger. There are built-in limitations. I've had good popcorn and good English muffins, but if anyone told me about a place with "great" popcorn or muffins I'd think they were being overly enthusiastic.

Exactly.

If you go to Ssam, you should order the pork buns. eta: If you go to Ssam and they have the snails appetizer, you should get it, because odds are you won't find many places serving snails that well.

If you go to Grand Sichuan, you should order the Au Zhou or Gui Zhou chicken.

If you go to Sri you should order the soy sauce noodles, or one of the pork dishes that I can't think of.

If you go to Babbo, you should get the garganelli or the pork chop.

If you go Great Jones Cafe, you should get the blackened catfish, kale and 2 bloody marys.

if you go to Katzs, you should get the pastrami on rye, with lettuce, tomato and lots of Miracle Whip.

Is this really so odd? If someone said, "I'm going to Grand Szechuan tonight and I think I'm going to get the chicken with broccoli," would you think it so odd to reply, " you really should try . . . ."

Katz's is a renowned one trick pony. The rest of the places you mention have lots of other great things on their menu. If we followed your advice we'd wind up falling into the trap of the CH poster I quoted above -

Went last Sun. Had a great meal. Ordered several of the dishes rec'd above. Told the waiter I'd read about the restaurant on line and he said, " On Chowhound?. Yeah , all those people come in and basically all order the same dishes." We, being some of "those people", vowed to expand our choices next visit.

What trap?

"If you go with more than one person, you should order something else in addition."

"If you go back to any of them, you should order something else."

Is this really so difficult?

True, but how will you know whether a dish agrees with your dish until you've ordered it (therefore will be paying for it), and have tasted it? We've all ordered things that have manifested themselves in forms vastly different from what we had imagined, based on the menu (of course, the same happens with descriptions by people online).

There are no guarantees. Even if you are making a regular visits to a restaurant and order a favorite dish that you've had many times before there's a chance they'll botch it. It occasionally happens to me and I'm sure it happens to you too.

All you can do is play the percentages.

There are no guarantees. Even if you are making a regular visits to a restaurant and order a favorite dish that you've had many times before there's a chance they'll botch it. It occasionally happens to me and I'm sure it happens to you too.

All you can do is play the percentages.

That and...

Need more data points. (I learned that from Jim Leff ;) ).

What trap?

"If you go with more than one person, you should order something else in addition."

Assuming the kitchen is good (and by the volume of positive posts that's a safe assumption) the CH poster should have ordered the Southern Indian dishes (their specialty) that appealed to him most.

Has anyone heard/been to "Southern Spice" out by Flushing Hospital?

This Sietsema review makes me want to go on a dead sprint

On our first visit, as we filed out of the restaurant after an incredible meal, one of the cooks, wearing a baseball cap, gave us a salute with two fingers, as a Cub Scout would do.

Unless it was a relic of empire in which case he was telling you to fuck off.

What trap?

Assuming the kitchen is good (and by the volume of positive posts that's a safe assumption) the CH poster should have ordered the Southern Indian dishes (their specialty) that appealed to him most.

I get it. You're just teasing me. It's "make fun of the fat kid" day.

No, but it seems to me more pronounced there.

Exactly. There's a needy desperation in the way they beg for recommendations. It's as if a visit to a restaurant is like a walk through a minefield.

I don't think it's that. It's the Leff idea that you should trek to the ends of the earth for the perfect arepa, even if that's the only thing the restaurant (or cart) does well. That's been extended to the presumption that you should only go to a place for one thing.

Not that I think Dave cares, but I don't think I've ever said in public how good I think his blog is. Really great stuff.

It's the only one (other than my own) I go out of my way to praise. I pretty much use it instead of Chowhound if I need ideas for the Remote Outer Boroughs.