Places we're curious about

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

No, but it seems to me more pronounced there.

Exactly. There's a needy desperation in the way they beg for recommendations. It's as if a visit to a restaurant is like a walk through a minefield.

I don't think it's that. It's the Leff idea that you should trek to the ends of the earth for the perfect arepa, even if that's the only thing the restaurant (or cart) does well. That's been extended to the presumption that you should only go to a place for one thing.

Yes, it's as if a question which is perfectly appropriate when addressing Stand #61b at the Hidden Palace Basement Foodmart in Flushing makes equal sense when addressing Daniel. When I see someone asking what to order at Daniel or Eleven Madison Park, I want to reply, well what do you like to eat?

No, but it seems to me more pronounced there.

Exactly. There's a needy desperation in the way they beg for recommendations. It's as if a visit to a restaurant is like a walk through a minefield.

I don't think it's that. It's the Leff idea that you should trek to the ends of the earth for the perfect arepa, even if that's the only thing the restaurant (or cart) does well. That's been extended to the presumption that you should only go to a place for one thing.

I think Sneak was pretty much on the money.

That "ends of the earth" remark does ring true though. The Leff philosophy which puts a premium on difficulty and obscurity is alive and well on CH. I've often thought that Leff's ideal restaurant would be one with no menu run by people who speak no English located in an unmarked truck that parked in bad neighborhoods after midnight.

That "ends of the earth" remark does ring true though. The Leff philosophy which puts a premium on difficulty and obscurity is alive and well on CH. I've often thought that Leff's ideal restaurant would be one with no menu run by people who speak no English located in an unmarked truck that parked in bad neighborhoods after midnight.

:lol:

Maybe this isn't applicable to the CH crowd, but there's also this element of false sophistication -- a kind of fake connoisseurship evidenced by ridiculous definitive statements like, "there's only one thing to order at Eleven Madison Park."

Some time decades ago, after he left the Met, Thomas Hoving took over the editorship of a magazine called Connoisseur, devoted to explicating "the finer things in life."

They started a print ad campaign featuring pictures of Hoving staring reverently at some object -- say, in this case, a brandy snifter -- with a caption saying something like, "there's only one way to drink fine brandy," and an attribution to Hoving.

And even my half-formed youthful self knew enough to look at those ads and go, "like fuck there is."

Well, right. And if you're taking a subway to a bus to a walk to get to some remote corner of Queens, you really want to make sure you order the right thing.

It's funny but kind of sad. OK, Szechuan food. For about 5 or 6 years it's been pretty easy to get very good Szechuan food at places all around the city. Spicy & Tasty and Little Pepper in Flushing. The Grand Sichuan chain in Manhattan. Wu Liang Ye on 48thSt. Grand Sichuan House in Bay Ridge. Easy, right?

No, Leff prefers to do it his way. From two posts from this past April and May:

I feel compelled to say that I've eaten dozens, perhaps scores of meals at the 86th street location (of Wu Liang Ye). The chef there is a fellow I've been following for ten years (since he cooked at the late lamented "Lion Pavillion" in Queens). And I think he's an absolute genius.

He might not be there every day, which would account for some of the mixed opinions. But I've never had a less than splendid meal there. Of course, I only order serious Sichuan specialties.

Went back last week for a banquet. My chef is gone...I knew it upon my first bite. They're still using his recipes (his signature chopped chicken with chili vinaigrette is still a treat, though not as deep as when he made it). But the dude's out of there. And I must find him again.

He chases the mythical Magical Chef like Ahab chased Moby Dick.

Some of my other CH favorites included:

1. Giving a list of totally dissimilar restaurants, and asking which one was best
  2. Asking for dining advice while supplying practically no information about what the person might be looking for
  3. Asking for an "ordering strategy," as if the Normandy invasion were being planned
Here's a real-life example from 5 years ago that struck me as so dumb I even saved it:

Looking for recommendations for good eats (dinner) in the West 50’s. Scene/buzz/beautiful people _not_ of interest; just wonderful eats.

All cuisines are in the ballpark except for Mexican and Indian (thanks to spice allergy).

It also made me wonder whether there is anything different between "eats" and "food". They're both four letters, but only one is a real word.

(Rasle Frasle.)

someone posts, "I'm going to be down near the East Village tomorrow night, and I'm looking for a good place to eat. Don't really care about the scene or the cuisine. I just want some good food."

The response: "Any of the Momofuku's are hot right now, and you pretty much can't go wrong with anything on the menu. But if you end up at Ssam bar, you should definitely try to the pork buns. I also really like Redhead for more casual, Southern-inflected food or, if you're looking for something a little more upscale, Hearth on 1st and 11th is one of the best meals in the city."

"Thanks for the advice. I've heard about Ssam, but I don't really eat pork."

"Not a problem, they've got this great snail appetizer with asparagus right now. It's probably the best snail dish you'll get anywhere. And the fried chicken is getting a lot of talk, although some people find it over-rated."

Similar to this?

I'm coming to NYC with my wife and friends who do not share my value opinion of paying for great food. I would have us at Per Se but they will not be moved.

Is there anything out there at the moment that delivers the experience I'm looking for for a price that my companions will accept?

I have already gleaned the eG Forum for dumplings at Dumpling House and Italian at Celeste. Anything else I can fill my aching heart (pining for Ducasse and Per Se) with during our four night stay.

Thanks in advance from Stratford, Ontario.

1666207[/snapback]

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=123973

If the admins deem it, perhaps it might be best to split this subdiscussion off. Just an observation.