Places we're curious about

Guest Aaron T
Are you serious??????????

For one thing, horse meat is illegal in NYS.

Hmmm. One of my friends was talking about such a place. It sounds gross to me but could be considered authentic.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we needed a thread on places we walk by, places we hear about, places we want feedback on without starting a thread about it (yet)...   So last night we walked by Lure Fishbar. I love the l

Walked by that newish place Turquoise on E. 81. Nice fish menu - lots of whole fish, and meditarannean stuff. Not wacky expensive, believe it or not. If they do all the fish well, might be nice. N

I went a few months ago. I liked the wings; the potato mochi are good if you don't mind the typical mochi texture. They're served with a sweetish sauce and lots of butter. The place really is small

Posted Images

Horsemeat sushi I don't know about, but you will find no more forthright advocate of horsemeat tartare - rich, dark and tangy. To be found at Ateneu Gastronomic in Barcelona, for example.

Haven't had any horsemeat since I was last in Brussels, though - knowingly.

Reminds me of the new business in the Lanksy Lounge space (yes, that went) - puffed in TONY this week.  To underline the speakeasy theme, they serve cocktails in tea-cups.

Sigh.

I should tell you the name, but for some reason I didn't bother to jot it down.

It's called The Back Room, although the sign outside says "Lower East Side Toy Company".

Those cups are a pain in the ass. We were there on Saturday and I even resorted to drinking bottled beer (which they put in a paper bag) just so I could avoid them.

Guest Aaron T
Maybe if you go on the right night, actors dressed as Keystone Kops bust in, arrest everyone, and lock you in a holding cell overnight.

Do they charge extra for that?

I do hate supplements on prix fix menus...

Guest Suzanne F
Plenty of good horse in montreal on the other hand. It's legal there, or at least decriminalized.

Uh . . . are you talking about the animal, or, um . . . :wub: ??

I can't imagine anyone but the Dutch decriminalizing that.

Plenty of good horse in montreal on the other hand. It's legal there, or at least decriminalized.

isn't the u.s one of the largest exporters of horse-meat to europe? or did i just make that up?

Yes. Export is fine. Consumption in the US is not - but it's up to the states. Last time I checked, there were no states where it's legal, iirc.

Uh . . . are you talking about the animal, or, um . . . :wub: ??

I can't imagine anyone but the Dutch decriminalizing that.

Canada, France, Switzerland, Belgium, England - I've eaten horse meat in all those countries. Not even uncommon. In Paris there are boucheries that specialize only in horse meat. I haven't eaten horse meat in Italy or Germany, but a little googling just confirmed that it's eaten in those two also - Spain, Austria, and the Netherlands as well. And in Japan, most certainly.