Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

where do baby corns come from?   all joking aside, are they just regular corn that's picked before it's grown?

Whenever a colleague says "Can I ask a stupid question?", I respond, "Can you ask any other kind?". Just one of the reasons I am universally loved.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   Chemicals volatizing from the salt because of temperature? (Guessing.)

Posted Images

I want a show of hands - who has ever been to a wedding where *all* the male guests wore black tie?

Sorry, "black tie preferred" is just a tactic to get people to stop wearing jeans to weddings.

it means no shirt, no shoes, no open bar.

they just want you to wear a tasteful suit

I want a show of hands - who has ever been to a wedding where *all* the male guests wore black tie?

Sorry, "black tie preferred" is just a tactic to get people to stop wearing jeans to weddings.

Me. It was an FFV* wedding.

*FFV = First Families of Virginia.

In the 1980s, I went to a few black tie weddings and many parties. I think it would be harder to pull it off now.

I know this was a classic thread here at one point. It's funny, Ibut I used to care very much. Now I have other things on my mind, but Black Tie also means you can wear a dark business suit. You'd probably feel more comfortable in a tux but it's considered ok. But this is where Omni and I went round and round. Since Black Tie means you have the option of wearing a suit, Black Tie Optional is meaningless. She insisted Black Tie means only Black Tie. I still think I'm right but the realities of modern life (which I avoid a lot) mean that Black Tie Optional is code for "Please don't dress like a pig on my big day!"

In the 1980s, I went to a few black tie weddings and many parties. I think it would be harder to pull it off now.

I know this was a classic thread here at one point. It's funny, Ibut I used to care very much. Now I have other things on my mind, but Black Tie also means you can wear a dark business suit. You'd probably feel more comfortable in a tux but it's considered ok. But this is where Omni and I went round and round. Since Black Tie means you have the option of wearing a suit, Black Tie Optional is meaningless. She insisted Black Tie means only Black Tie. I still think I'm right but the realities of modern life (which I avoid a lot) mean that Black Tie Optional is code for "Please don't dress like a pig on my big day!"

Wedding etiquette is incredibly variable by region. I've found that lots of arguments of this sort are a result of that.

Well, men have it pretty easy: wear either a dark suit or a tux. There's no easy solution for women.

Well, men have it pretty easy: wear either a dark suit or a tux. There's no easy solution for women.

I don't know. I had a helluva time with the buttons and cufflinks when I was best man for my brother Tim's wedding.

3876894766_48d30bf450.jpg

I don't know. I had a helluva time with the buttons and cufflinks when I was best man for my brother Tim's wedding.

3876894766_48d30bf450.jpg

i still say you were cuter with that mustache, you should grow it back

When Tim took the pictures to work there was a lot of whispering going on in the background when he was showing off the album. Someone finally admitted they thought the best man looked "awfully effeminate."

okay, this is sort of a dear abby question, but here goes. a very dear friend, who is like a brother to me has a tendency to eat off my plate when we're at a restaurant. this is not the voluntary ritualistic passing of plates around the table thing. it's more of a seize the opportunity and finish my food kind of thing. i come from a family of germophobic and conservative restaurant eaters. i've only recently made peace with passing plates around, so that people can taste or share a plate. in my family each person orders what they want to eat and that's pretty much what happens. he's been doing this for almost 30 years, but i adore him and he lives far away and i try to focus on enjoying our time together. i thought i'd made my peace with his quirk, long ago. but, last night he started eating the crumbs off of my bread plate and then the chocolate mousse off of my dessert. i was suddenly seized with the desire to stick a fork into his hand. there were five of us at the table and he did not go for anyone else's plate, not even the plate of his beloved spouse of almost 15 years, who noticed my seething annoyance and after dinner admitted always wondering what the deal was with the pilfering of food from my plate. this is very bad behavior on friend's part, no? and of course it's stupid enabling behavior on my part. is it too late to object or will i have to live with this until one of us dies?