Tamar G

Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

A pound of Velveeta is more than twice the price of real cheddar (Velveeta=$12.99, aged cheddar on sale for $4.97/500g).

This belongs in the 'Surrealism of Everyday Life' thread.

Maybe it was the 900g block that was $12.99? The same size block was sold for $7.99 (though the box said manufacturer suggested retail $5.99) at the tiny grocery store in Pembina. At the grocery store here, the smaller block was $8.99 (if this size is a pound, it's still 2x more expensive than real cheese).

It must be expensive because it's a precious import from the U S of A. It's even more expensive than gas.

btw, the velveeta here is sold in the dairy case. Does it really need to be refrigerated? I thought it was like plastic and had no need for refrigeration.

A pound of Velveeta is more than twice the price of real cheddar (Velveeta=$12.99, aged cheddar on sale for $4.97/500g).

This belongs in the 'Surrealism of Everyday Life' thread.

Maybe it was the 900g block that was $12.99? The same size block was sold for $7.99 (though the box said manufacturer suggested retail $5.99) at the tiny grocery store in Pembina. At the grocery store here, the smaller block was $8.99 (if this size is a pound, it's still 2x more expensive than real cheese).

It must be expensive because it's a precious import from the U S of A. It's even more expensive than gas.

btw, the velveeta here is sold in the dairy case. Does it really need to be refrigerated? I thought it was like plastic and had no need for refrigeration.

pasteurized processed cheese product and needs to be refrigerated. it's made of 3 kinds of cheese, at least, they just do some weird thing to the whey and the curd to change the natural texture. it's sort of real cheese but "enhanced"

It's a good thing I didn't buy the one from Pembina, ND. It was just sitting on a shelf. (though I did buy 4 Munch bars there despite the thick layer of dust on the top layer of bars in the box. There's something very quaint about small town US grocery stores, isn't there?)

It's a good thing I didn't buy the one from Pembina, ND. It was just sitting on a shelf. (though I did buy 4 Munch bars there despite the thick layer of dust on the top layer of bars in the box. There's something very quaint about small town US grocery stores, isn't there?)

i think it is shelf stable until it's opened

I once had a big argument with my mother when she told me she couldn't understand why sugar-free canned fruit salad cost more than canned fruit salad with sugar. I tried to explain to her that fruit naturally contains sugar, so if you have fruit salad with sugar, that's just the way it is. Whereas taking the sugar out of fruit is an expensive chemical process.

She refused to believe me. She insisted that the canned food companies were irrationally ripping her off.

I once had a big argument with my mother when she told me she couldn't understand why sugar-free canned fruit salad cost more than canned fruit salad with sugar. I tried to explain to her that fruit naturally contains sugar, so if you have fruit salad with sugar, that's just the way it is. Whereas taking the sugar out of fruit is an expensive chemical process.

She refused to believe me. She insisted that the canned food companies were irrationally ripping her off.

Mothers know best.

You had a big argument with your mother over this? You should have lost...badly. Sugar-free canned fruit means no added sugar. They don't chemically convert the natural sugar in the fruit.

The only reasons I can think of an actual difference in the cost of producing the canned fruit are that you don't get as much economy of scale for sugar-free because fewer people buy it or that the preservatives that are needed for the sugar-free version to keep color and texture are more expensive than sugar.

The difference in the cost to consumer is probably not related to production cost.

You had a big argument with your mother over this? You should have lost...badly. Sugar-free canned fruit means no added sugar. They don't chemically convert the natural sugar in the fruit.

The only reasons I can think of an actual difference in the cost of producing the canned fruit are that you don't get as much economy of scale for sugar-free because fewer people buy it or that the preservatives that are needed for the sugar-free version to keep color and texture are more expensive than sugar.

The difference in the cost to consumer is probably not related to production cost.

You can probably use inferior and unripe fruit when you can add sugar.

You can probably use inferior and unripe fruit when you can add sugar.

Good point.

Sneak still loses.

Any reason why I shouldn't switch from buying the TurboTax software CD to buying the TurboTax online version?

My return goes through the Intuit servers regardless of which one I use. I assume that by using the online version I would make my data "available" for a hacker for a longer period of time - the time from beginning the process to the filing, rather than only during the filing. But I don't know if that's correct or a sufficient reason not to use the online version.

Did you fall for the line that ATMs actually print the notes on site?

Any reason why I shouldn't switch from buying the TurboTax software CD to buying the TurboTax online version?

My return goes through the Intuit servers regardless of which one I use. I assume that by using the online version I would make my data "available" for a hacker for a longer period of time - the time from beginning the process to the filing, rather than only during the filing. But I don't know if that's correct or a sufficient reason not to use the online version.

I would say no. I don't think the security issues are any different than they are for the CD because of the way that the returns are filed.

Pencil and paper would be safer.

I've been keeping a bunch of egg whites in the fridge (not freezer, unfortunately) in the hopes of making some macarons. They've been there for about three weeks.

Any chance they could still be edible? I didn't notice any smell or mould or anything gross about them.

But I should probably just throw them away, shouldn't I? Or make a facial mask out of them?