Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

where do baby corns come from?   all joking aside, are they just regular corn that's picked before it's grown?

Whenever a colleague says "Can I ask a stupid question?", I respond, "Can you ask any other kind?". Just one of the reasons I am universally loved.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   Chemicals volatizing from the salt because of temperature? (Guessing.)

Posted Images

Yes, but since Word does not have a "reveal codes" button (like Word Perfect did), how does one find and remove these hidden formatting codes?

Is "reveal codes" different from "reveal formatting"? (reveal formatting is shift+F1, or found under the "Format" tab)

An office politics question: my supervisor did my performance review over a month ago, and as far as I know hasn't turned it in yet. Of course, this means my (miniscule) raise is being held up. Actually, the review should have been done 5 months ago but HR dragged its heels a lot. I've been softly nudging her and she keeps swearing it's at the top of her to-do list. (Her time management skills aren't great.) Would it be really bad form to mention the situation to someone higher up and/or someone in HR? This is a new situation for me and I don't know the best protocol.

Ever notice how Microsoft Word will occasionally re-format a document at its own whim and caprice. For example, you've got a document in Times New Roman, 12 point font, you delete a paragraph, and suddenly the next remaining paragraph is Calibri, 11 point?

How the fuck does one stop this? I assume there's some random code in the document. How can I find out?

It may be because one of the basic styles - default font or Normal - has been changed. Try changing them back. the nuclear option is to overwrite all styles with the normal.dot versions using the style manager.

An office politics question: my supervisor did my performance review over a month ago, and as far as I know hasn't turned it in yet. Of course, this means my (miniscule) raise is being held up. Actually, the review should have been done 5 months ago but HR dragged its heels a lot. I've been softly nudging her and she keeps swearing it's at the top of her to-do list. (Her time management skills aren't great.) Would it be really bad form to mention the situation to someone higher up and/or someone in HR? This is a new situation for me and I don't know the best protocol.

If it were me, I would say "is there something I can do to help with this?" and when she says no, I would say "should I be working with XX (name of higher up) or HR on this? I don't want to burden you"

If it were me, I would say "is there something I can do to help with this?" and when she says no, I would say "should I be working with XX (name of higher up) or HR on this? I don't want to burden you"

Thanks, Lauren. Unfortunately, the way our procedure works is that HR sends supervisor a form, supervisor does review with underling, supervisor fills out form based on review and sends it to department head and HR. I can't fill out the form and neither can HR. Since my review is technically done, my role is over.

Are Lawry's seasoning mixes regional products, or are they available all over the US?

I couldn't find any in the MSP area, only McCormick's mixes (McCormick bought Lawry's, but the ingredients of the product I was looking for are different). The only place I've found them is an import store in Japan.

(I know they're available by mail order, but if I can find them somewhere I happen to be, I'd rather go that route.)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, back to Word. Perhaps there is an easy explanation for how to do this. Or someone can point me to someone who can answer the question.

I've got a long document that is supposed to be in "Outline" form. That is paragraphs with Level 1, Level 2, etc. It's all fucked up, and it seems to insert ridiculous paragraph formatting at random.

Is there an easy way to (1) wipe all of the existing formatting; (2) define the levels of an outline the way I want them; and (3) assign all my paragraphs with the Level formatting I want so that the numbering/lettering is in order? (Note: I've tried yelling "fuck you" at the monitor. That doesn't work at all.)

Ok, back to Word. Perhaps there is an easy explanation for how to do this. Or someone can point me to someone who can answer the question.

I've got a long document that is supposed to be in "Outline" form. That is paragraphs with Level 1, Level 2, etc. It's all fucked up, and it seems to insert ridiculous paragraph formatting at random.

Is there an easy way to (1) wipe all of the existing formatting; (2) define the levels of an outline the way I want them; and (3) assign all my paragraphs with the Level formatting I want so that the numbering/lettering is in order? (Note: I've tried yelling "fuck you" at the monitor. That doesn't work at all.)

get a secretary

Speaking as someone adept at most business programs - but makes a lot of Word, Doc, etc screw-ups. Whenever I accidentally mess up something as described, I cut the desired text and paste it into a simple text program like Notepad. This seems to remove any funky formatting and see just the text. I think cut & paste it back and it assumes the format of the neighboring text.

This may be way under the level of problem you have but it's all I can offer.

Under "Format", go to "Styles and Formatting". Then "select all" and under "pick formatting to apply", click on "clear formatting"

Can't help with 2 or 3, but if you haven't already tried, type "troubleshoot outline view" or "text formatting in outline view" in help. Something there might be helpful (but sometimes Word help is not very helpful).