Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

where do baby corns come from?   all joking aside, are they just regular corn that's picked before it's grown?

Whenever a colleague says "Can I ask a stupid question?", I respond, "Can you ask any other kind?". Just one of the reasons I am universally loved.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   Chemicals volatizing from the salt because of temperature? (Guessing.)

Posted Images

Legally why would changing from "Enterprise" to "Regulated Entity" be important? Perhaps in preventing lawsuits concerning changes unilaterally made by a regulator? Assuming the "Enterprise" was regulated by the same entity?

Without more, it sounds like window dressing.

• 2 weeks later...
Between butter and extra virgin coconut oil, which is the better substitute for non-hydrogenated shortening?

It's for a cookie recipe http://www.ohladycakes.com/2013/04/salted-chocolate-pretzel-peanut-butter.html

I suppose it doesn't matter that much, I'm just curious.

non-hydrogenated is usually palm oil. maybe compare the melting points or butter and solid coconut oil and choose the closest one to palm oil

Between butter and extra virgin coconut oil, which is the better substitute for non-hydrogenated shortening?

It's for a cookie recipe http://www.ohladycakes.com/2013/04/salted-chocolate-pretzel-peanut-butter.html

I suppose it doesn't matter that much, I'm just curious.

non-hydrogenated is usually palm oil. maybe compare the melting points or butter and solid coconut oil and choose the closest one to palm oil. personally, i'd just use crisco and not worry about it

You're so smart! I looked it up. Coconut oil as a melting point of 25C, palm oil 24C, and butter at more than 30C (I forgot already).

I prefer the flavour of butter or coconut oil to that of shortening, though I suppose I could use butter-flavoured crisco!

If you substitute butter for shortening, the cookies will spread more because there's more water in butter. Coconut oil probably has about the same amount of water as shortening (that is, virtually none), so other than flavor, the cookies should be pretty much the same.

ETA: if you need to cream the fat with sugar, anything close to solid will work better, that is give you a lighter texture, because you can beat air into it as you cream it. Oil + sugar won't hold as much air, so you'll get more solid cookies, flatter. When I made Joe Froggers with oil instead of shortening, they spread like crazy--no air beaten in to lighten them. I probably should have rested the dough overnight, too.

• 1 month later...

About airline miles/rewards accruals:

If I were to purchase two tickets for a trip, can I assign one of the ticket's miles/rewards to another person so long as there's a second rewards account? Or would it simply be handled by making a gift of that amount of miles at a later date to the second rewards account?

I'm confused.

If you're purchasing a ticket for someone, I think only s/he can get airmiles for that ticket (i.e. the name on the ticket must be the same as the name of the reward account holder to whom the miles will be credited).

If the ticket holder does not have a miles account, s/he (nor anyone else) can get the miles for that trip.

Does that answer the question, or is there a different question?

i've done this for my mom. at the time of purchase i give the name of the other passenger (i guess nowadays you have give the name anyhow) along with their mileage account number. or you can leave that ticket unassigned to a mileage program and they can provide their number later. you can't assign those miles to a third non passenger party however.

I've paid for tickets for both N and I on an airline we both have a frequent flyer plan attached to, and I had no problem inputting her FF number when I made the reservation--I just added it along with her other passenger details.