Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

where do baby corns come from?   all joking aside, are they just regular corn that's picked before it's grown?

Whenever a colleague says "Can I ask a stupid question?", I respond, "Can you ask any other kind?". Just one of the reasons I am universally loved.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   Chemicals volatizing from the salt because of temperature? (Guessing.)

Posted Images

When is Pim opening her restaurant?

November if all goes according to plan.

Oh thank god. Finally: Thai food cooked under the supervision of a real Thai who no doubt will only hire ethnic Thai cooks to ensure that everything is really authentic, because only people of any given ethnicity can cook that ethnicity's food correctly. (At least, that's the way I remember the argument discussion.)

That's not what I (at least) said.

No, dear, not you; Pim did, iirc, in a discussion of how David Pasternack had said he could cook any cuisine if he had to. She was adamant that only Asians can/should cook Asian food. Of course, I could be remembering it wrong.

ETA: Maybe I am: Michael Gaines doesn't sound like an Asian name, but I've never seen him or his birth certificate.

I promise now I will stop :deadhorse:

No, dear, not you; Pim did, iirc, in a discussion of how David Pasternack had said he could cook any cuisine if he had to. She was adamant that only Asians can/should cook Asian food. Of course, I could be remembering it wrong.

ETA: Maybe I am: Michael Gaines doesn't sound like an Asian name, but I've never seen him or his birth certificate.

Ah. Happily, if it's not about me, I don't have to think about it.

Ah. Happily, if it's not about me, I don't have to think about it.

We're having a bit of kerfuffle about this in Seattle right now.

An open letter to bigoted diners.

When is Pim opening her restaurant?

November if all goes according to plan.

Oh thank god. Finally: Thai food cooked under the supervision of a real Thai who no doubt will only hire ethnic Thai cooks to ensure that everything is really authentic, because only people of any given ethnicity can cook that ethnicity's food correctly. (At least, that's the way I remember the argument discussion.)

It's well known that only Caucasians can cook ethnic food to the standard of excellence demanded by the Food media. All they have to do is go on a vacation to Thailand or Mexico. If they're in country for a couple of weeks they can quickly learn to cook like a native. It's as easy as getting a suntan.

he looks pretty not-Thai to me, but you never know.

http://sf.eater.com/archives/2012/08/07/michael_gaines_out_at_central_kitchen.php

Maybe he'll do all the unimportant stuff (like making the chili jam or preparing the miang kam or spring rolls) while she does the "real" Thai food