Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

he looks pretty not-Thai to me, but you never know.

http://sf.eater.com/archives/2012/08/07/michael_gaines_out_at_central_kitchen.php

Maybe he'll do all the unimportant stuff (like making the chili jam or preparing the miang kam or spring rolls) while she does the "real" Thai food

No, Prasantrin, he's not Thai. He will be running my kitchen, though.

When I set out on this project, I began with making a list of things I didn't know how to do, on the very top of which was "running a professional kitchen". I will be an integral part of the kitchen, the food and the menu will be mine, and I am delighted to have someone as talented, well trained, and receptive as Mike to run my kitchen.

We don't have an entire kitchen set up yet, so I can't spell out the ethnicity of everyone involved, but I can assure you the food will be as Thai as I can make it. I hope you give us a try next time you're in town. I'd love to hear your opinion.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

where do baby corns come from?   all joking aside, are they just regular corn that's picked before it's grown?

Whenever a colleague says "Can I ask a stupid question?", I respond, "Can you ask any other kind?". Just one of the reasons I am universally loved.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   Chemicals volatizing from the salt because of temperature? (Guessing.)

Posted Images

will you have khao tang na tang and krathong thong? If you will, I'll be there for sure! But if not, I'll probably still be there. (another trip to SF is on my list, though it may not be for a while)

Khao Tung Na Tung for sure, it's my favorite too. No Kratong Thong planned as of now, but that might change. At least come and try my Khao Tung, yes? :)

The last time I was in BKK, krathong thong was really hard to find (cabbages and Condoms has it, as does that klong soi on soi klong--not the name, but something like that--near a hospital--I know your family goes there, as do my relatives); I imagine it's even more difficult to find outside Thailand. I have a friend with a Thai restaurant here in Winnipeg. Instead of frying the cups (more time consuming and difficult to keep fresh), she bakes spring roll wrappers in mini muffin pans. Not the same, but easier and they keep longer!

I'm actually curious about this, since I'll be in SF in November and the restaurant will be near where I'm staying. Pim, do you think you might be open by mid-month?

We're hoping to/planning on it. Same difference, right? (See you there!)

Thanks Behemoth and Lippy. Hope to see you there, too!

will you have khao tang na tang and krathong thong? If you will, I'll be there for sure! But if not, I'll probably still be there. (another trip to SF is on my list, though it may not be for a while)

Khao Tung Na Tung for sure, it's my favorite too. No Kratong Thong planned as of now, but that might change. At least come and try my Khao Tung, yes? :)

You're going to find a use for The Butter in Thai cooking, right?

This may seem like I'm trolling, but I"m really not.

Let's say you have a stainless teel pot, and the bottom layer has started to peel off around the rim. It's not just peeling, but it's separating from the rest of the pot all around the rim. The pot, however, is not leaking.

What is a good reason to give someone for throwing away the pot?

Someone (aka my mother) seems to think the pot is still safe to use. I think given the bottom-most layer is separating and given there is a chemical smell coming from the pot (which she says she can't smell), it should be thrown out.

I need sound reason that I can give her to throw the fucking thing out. She drives me nuts. For shit like this I gave up my life to move back here to help her out. Fuck.

How hot does stainless steel have to get to melt? Or at least char? Can't put it back on the stove, but maybe I could bring it over to a friend's fire pit!

Give it to my ex-wife she'll have it reduced to embers in an hour.

And spend about a grand in the process....