Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

Why do people like TED? It feels like it makes them confuse knowing about something to knowing something, but is there more to it? The presentations I scanned through seemed content-free.

Talking about the Ted Talks.

This quote from the article: "To be clear, I think that having smart people who do very smart things explain what they doing in a way that everyone can understand is a good thing. But TED goes way beyond that….So I ask the question: does TED epitomize a situation where if a scientist's work (or an artist's or philosopher's or activist's or whoever) is told that their work is not worthy of support, because the public doesn't feel good listening to them? I submit that astrophysics run on the model of American Idol is a recipe for civilizational disaster."

I agree. We've more than gotten to the point where the look and sound of the messenger is more important than the message. And that sound bites saying almost nothing are more important than the details of the work.

This from someone (me) who relied on Cliff Notes waaay back when.

• Like 1
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

where do baby corns come from?   all joking aside, are they just regular corn that's picked before it's grown?

Whenever a colleague says "Can I ask a stupid question?", I respond, "Can you ask any other kind?". Just one of the reasons I am universally loved.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   Chemicals volatizing from the salt because of temperature? (Guessing.)

Posted Images

Why do people like TED? It feels like it makes them confuse knowing about something to knowing something, but is there more to it? The presentations I scanned through seemed content-free.

Talking about the Ted Talks.

This quote from the article: "To be clear, I think that having smart people who do very smart things explain what they doing in a way that everyone can understand is a good thing. But TED goes way beyond that….So I ask the question: does TED epitomize a situation where if a scientist's work (or an artist's or philosopher's or activist's or whoever) is told that their work is not worthy of support, because the public doesn't feel good listening to them? I submit that astrophysics run on the model of American Idol is a recipe for civilizational disaster."

I agree. We've more than gotten to the point where the look and sound of the messenger is more important than the message. And that sound bites saying almost nothing are more important than the details of the work.

This from someone (me) who relied on Cliff Notes waaay back when.

but cliff notes didn't need to be bonkworthy

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couply of big kitchen supply places near Lafayette and Houston.

Chef Restaurant Supply - 296 Bowery.

Win Restaurant Supply. - 318 Layayette.

I haven't looked for brushes and dustpans specifically but these places are vast and the 2 of them are located very close to each other.

• 2 weeks later...

where's the best place to buy violiv jars? i need a 5ml screwtop and a 500ml or 1 liter screwtop. the little one for storing expensive skin cream in the fridge and the big one for storing culinary lavender. they seem to be very expensive online due to other possibly illicit uses they may have.