Tamar G

Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

?

Those are chiles, mine are like textured peppercorns.

Yeah, my fuck up - so it's a stunted long pepper, from what I can gather...no luck at Dual or the place next door to Kalustyan's?

Why is there a creepy ASL guy with deblasio instead of closed captioning?

Why is there a census instead of mandating Google should give up the data for free?

• Like 1

He's probably there for anyone in the live audience who is deaf. There may even be a 2nd one in the audience. Simultaneous interpretation is very difficult, so there are often two with the second offering assistance if the first one missed something or a made mistake.

And just imagine, the one next to DeBlasio is probably the less creepy looking one.

The very same guy! (or as it turns out from the article, a pair). At first I thought he was faking it but from the little ASL I know it seemed like he is actually translating although as you said, often missing details or simplifying. 

Live captioning just seems far more productive. 

I'd just use a little flour instead.

My mother says thank you! And then she added, "but it will be different!" Uh, yeah, but you asked for substitutions! Plus she has never followed a recipe without making changes, so I'm not sure why she's stuck on matzo. Mothers!

I bought these in Spain under the name "Assam Peppers" - they're somewhat smokey and beautifully aromatic. Seemingly related to long pepper, but much better. Any idea if they're available here and by what name?

T9QgFJO.jpg

Wild Assam Pepper, known as pipli, raru hamang and a host of other names is wildcrafted in the tropical forests of India. The taste is smoky and very tingly, with a citrus peel aftertaste and much less piquancy than black pepper. Wild Assam pepper is a true pepper, closely related to long pepper and familiar black pepper. It has been used in seasoning and Ayurvedic medicine for millennia.

https://bradyweber.com/wild-assam-pepper/

Seems more easily available in Europe, but https://www.flavourfields.com/assam-peppercorns

Some idiot in my house (ie, me) closed the door to our full-sized freezer with something sticking out, thus triggering the lightbulbs to stay on. I think this happened 2 days ago.

Using my temperature gun, the stuff on the top shelf read about 50-60 - into the garbage. I don't want to discuss what was thrown away. It's rather traumatic. There was flannery involved.

Bottom shelf is fine - 40 or lower. 

Middle shelf is the question. Top of most things was about 50, bottom 40. The items in question are a whole duck, a porcelet collar, a chicken, and short ribs (ie, half of my last dartagnan order and other fun things). What do we think as far as safety? Luckily these are all items I was planning on cooking fully anyway (well maybe not the duck or collar, but now that decision is made). Assuming I cook them fully (say 170 to be safe on everything), are they safe? Can I refreeze them or should I just cook everything tomorrow/Saturday and freeze the leftover meat?

Thanks in advance for your advice and sympathies.

Oh that sucks. US food guidelines say over 40° is danger zone but over here people are more relaxed. Maybe because ambient temps generally cooler, dunno. 

I took a food safety class when I was shift supervisor at a restaurant in my late teens. they told us that cooking the meat to full temperature will kill anything harmful, but it will taste off if there was something to kill. the instructor told us the english army used mustard to hide the taste of the rotting meat they would haul around the rest of the world. the class was more than 20 years ago fwiw.

my son did that to me a few years ago, it really sucked.

I don’t know about the food safety of refreezing it but I’d cook it, see how it smells, and freeze what you can.

• Like 1

I;'d certainly cook all the stuff you're worried about ASAP, and as Aaron says

7 hours ago, AaronS said:

but I’d cook it, see how it smells, and freeze what you can

And figure out a way to not that happen again!