Tamar G

Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

So far roasted the duck, which was amazing. Tasted and smelled fine and so far no I'll effects.  Why have I never roasted a duck before?  Tomorrow I think I smoke the short ribs and cook the porcelet. Not sure if the chicken will get cooked.  

• Like 1

If you were going to make osso buco, what kind of wine would you use? White, crisp... Medium body or light? Any particular varietal? From any particular region? Should I just use a dry marsala since I don't really drink wine, so whatever leftover wine there is will probably end up wasted?

I never believe them when they say to put white wine into that.  I always put in red wine.  A low-level Langhe is a good choice.

Even if you use white wine, I can't see Marsala, even dry, being a very good idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I never believe them when they say to put white wine into that.  I always put in red wine.  A low-level Langhe is a good choice.

Even if you use white wine, I can't see Marsala, even dry, being a very good idea.

It's because you don't have continental veal, actually the old country hardly has that anymore either.

9 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Well, do you make risotto Milanese to eat with the veal? Another reason to open that bottle of white for cooking.

Unfortunately, alcohol consumption is contraindicated with one of my meds. I could still maybe have a bit, but from past experience, I probably won't. If I had some creme de cassis I could make a kir, though. I really like kir and would risk negative effects for it. Creme de myrtille would be good, too  Or maybe I could make a wine jelly for dessert. I really like wine jelly too.

I was reading about using red vs white for this, and decided on white this time around since I'm not using tomatoes. The red will be used with the tomato one whenever that happens. 

I considered making the risotto, if for no other reason than to make arancini after, but the idea of standing at the stove for any more than 5 minutes already makes me tired. I haven't even found the appropriate cut of shank, yet, and that itself will be an ordeal. Will any butchers in my area even know what osso buco is? So I was going to have it with mashed potatoes. 😬

I searched for Langhe. My provincial liquor stores have none, but a couple of the private wine stores carry possibilities. Only 6, ranging from $24 to ~$60, but I will go and chat with them. Maybe I can find something similar.

I always use a dry white wine in osso buco.   In my mind's taste, it is a "soft" sauce, not a winey one.    Badly described, I know.   

I did a little more research and crisp=dry, so I went to my provincial liquor store and asked for a crisp white, preferably from Italy, and something like a Langhe. And I told him I was making ossobuco with it. He suggested a pinot grigio. And I ended up with a bottle described as:

"The Gabbiano Pinot Grigio is a sunny straw-yellow color. Floral notes caress the nose, with nuances of pear and honeydew melon. Citrus flavors are evident on the palate delivering complex flavors of green apple, orange and faint lemon. The mouth feel is lively and full in structure created by the excellent harmony of fruit and acid. The wine is light-bodied, with a long finish that reveals hints of citrus and almonds."

It has a nice label, but aside from that, is that flavor profile going to ruin my ossobuco? I managed to get some beef shanks today, so tomorrow is to be ossobuco-making day. Seems ok, but what do I know?

7 hours ago, prasantrin said:

It has a nice label, but aside from that, is that flavor profile going to ruin my ossobuco? I managed to get some beef shanks today, so tomorrow is to be ossobuco-making day. Seems ok, but what do I know?

I think it's more troublesome that beef shanks are being used for ossobuco, as opposed to veal shanks.

I can't afford veal shanks! I managed to find some, but they were $40/kg but my beef shanks were only $15.38/kg. I only got 4 pieces, and it was 2kg, so veal shanks would have bankrupted me (ironically, given my profession)! I think if this is somewhat successful, I will try again with veal shanks and a better-quality wine. I ended up using the serious eats recipe, although with only a small can of tomatoes and with chicken stock instead of beef. I also realized much too late that my Dutch oven is in storage, and I do not own a brazier, so I had to use a stock pot. It's been simmering for 45 minutes, and despite all the troubles I've been having (I also set off the smoke alarm but luckily was able to get the alarm company to stop the fire department from coming), I'm hoping for the best!