Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

1 hour ago, prasantrin said:

I can't afford veal shanks! I managed to find some, but they were $40/kg but my beef shanks were only $15.38/kg. I only got 4 pieces, and it was 2kg, so veal shanks would have bankrupted me (ironically, given my profession)! I think if this is somewhat successful, I will try again with veal shanks and a better-quality wine. I ended up using the serious eats recipe, although with only a small can of tomatoes and with chicken stock instead of beef. I also realized much too late that my Dutch oven is in storage, and I do not own a brazier, so I had to use a stock pot. It's been simmering for 45 minutes, and despite all the troubles I've been having (I also set off the smoke alarm but luckily was able to get the alarm company to stop the fire department from coming), I'm hoping for the best! 

My mother used to cook beef shanks a la osso buco.   It was not osso buco but it was a very good dish.   

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

where do baby corns come from?   all joking aside, are they just regular corn that's picked before it's grown?

Whenever a colleague says "Can I ask a stupid question?", I respond, "Can you ask any other kind?". Just one of the reasons I am universally loved.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   Chemicals volatizing from the salt because of temperature? (Guessing.)

It's actually pretty good even if it's not really ossobuco. Every ossobuco I've ever eaten has been made with beef (remember, I live in the Canadian prairies. We don't get out much here), and I think my version is comparable to the restaurant versions I've had. But now I'm curious about how veal changes the dish. I think that will be an October project for me, and then I'll make risotto milanese, too. May as well try it all! 

My mashed potatoes are really good, though. I haven't had them in years, and had forgotten how good they could be. 

So the blueberry muffins I made from a Maida Heatter recipe didn't rise as much as I'd hoped.  I'd tried not to overmix the batter, but I wonder if my problems was that the blueberries weren't totally dry when I added them to the dry ingredients.  I had thawed them from frozen (our own garden blueberries that we've been freezing), and while I tried hard to dry them off after they had thawed they might have still be waterlogged.  Would that have affected the lift from the baking powder and egg?

17 hours ago, prasantrin said:

My not-ossobuco is even tastier today than it was yesterday. I know that's to be expected, but I didn't realize just how much tastier it would be. 

FWIW, I always cook braises a day ahead, especially for dinner parties.    It's good for the cook as well as for the plate.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm making granola, and just realized I need a substitute for 3/4 c of applesauce unless I want to go to the grocery store. It's for the "liquid"/binding ingredients, the other two of which are 2 T oil and 1/3 c honey.

Any suggestions?

applesauce is apple + hfcs + vitamin c, so you could use 3/4 cup made of 20% honey, 75% water, 5% lemon juice I guess. Maybe add some gelling agent instead of the fruit pectin. 

1 hour ago, Orik said:

applesauce is apple + hfcs + vitamin c, so you could use 3/4 cup made of 20% honey, 75% water, 5% lemon juice I guess. Maybe add some gelling agent instead of the fruit pectin. 

I took part of a fresh peach, whizzed it up in a handheld blender container, added some water, whizzed again, and then added that mix to the original honey & oil mix with a bit of added honey. A tad more liquid than usual, but who noticed when spread over 10 cups of granola guts. Thanks for the hack.

• 2 weeks later...

We bought a jar of tahini that is way too thick to use (the tahini, not the jar).  My clueless question of the day is how to thin it out for use over roasted cauliflower, etc.  Just add oil?  That doesn't seem right.

This cooking thing is just so complicated.

4 minutes ago, Anthony Bonner said:

Water and lemon juice

Thanks.  I thought water would work but then it sounded too simple.  Should I use flat or sparkling, like Pellegrino? (that's a joke... I think). 

1 minute ago, Anthony Bonner said:

I like the zahav technique of blending whole garlic with lemon juice and straining and then adding that.

I actually did this last week when I made hummus.  But I think with really fresh, juicy garlic (which I had) it's an unnecessary step, especially if a mortar, peslte and salt are used and a garlic purée is made.