Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

I would use Earth Balance Vegan Buttery sticks as a direct substitute for the butter if you want a little better flavor and texture than canola oil. And I would use full fat oat milk as a direct substitute for the milk.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

where do baby corns come from?   all joking aside, are they just regular corn that's picked before it's grown?

Whenever a colleague says "Can I ask a stupid question?", I respond, "Can you ask any other kind?". Just one of the reasons I am universally loved.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   Chemicals volatizing from the salt because of temperature? (Guessing.)

Posted Images

I usually use the Earth Balance sticks when I'm making something pareve. I have heard good things about Miyoko's Vegan "Butter" but it's obscenely expensive for 8 oz. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods carry it. I wouldn't substitute oil unless the recipe calls for melted butter. In which case it's the 75% of the weight of butter.

Thanks everyone!  However, in the spirit of compromise I got the green light to make the cake as scheduled as long as we bring a jar of homemade Meyer lemon jelly so dairy-intolerant teenager (who we were originally told wouldn't care about dessert at all) can have a lemon sweet too.

And suet wouldn't fly with the non-beef eating adults, plus in general it's a little icky in desserts.  I politely asked N not to make the Christmas puddings with suet anymore.

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone made century eggs? I love them (just got an order from 3 Times tonight) and wonder whether it's something I can do (and is worth doing) myself. There's lye involved, which worries me.

You can't make them as well as the industrial product is the simple answer, but you can make very nice salt fermented eggs. 

p.s. trust me I'm a fermented egg doctor

Yes, the first recipe for brined eggs is just fine (and yes duck eggs are somewhat better for this, but good chicken eggs work), the salt curing method works but of course yolks will break and make a mess - I usually brine the yolks in soy (could be a 15% salt brine too) for a few hours to get similar results. 

How is that Top Hops in Essex Market charges $3.60 for a single bottle of Bell's Two Hearted Ale, when I can get a sixpack of the stuff at Trader Joe's for $9.99? I'm not gonna drink it there. No one has to open it for me or pour it into a glass. I've probably asked this before, but I still don't know.

3 hours ago, small h said:

I've probably asked this before, but I still don't know.

Don't go to Citi Field, Yankee Stadium, Madison Square Garden, et al. and have beer, unless you are very prepared to be shocked at its price.

I'm sure it's $4.99 at our corner bodega, but you get to pet their incredible cat! 

p.s. it's almost unbelievable that someone can produce a (still respectable I imagine) 7% beer and put it on a retail shelf in nyc for $1.67. 

3 hours ago, small h said:

How is that Top Hops in Essex Market charges $3.60 for a single bottle of Bell's Two Hearted Ale, when I can get a sixpack of the stuff at Trader Joe's for $9.99? I'm not gonna drink it there. No one has to open it for me or pour it into a glass. I've probably asked this before, but I still don't know.

I've never really thought about mark-ups for beer, but I assume the reason is the same as mark-ups for wine and liquor. I admit, 100% is outrageous, but I haven't thought about what the standard is.

1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

Don't go to Citi Field, Yankee Stadium, Madison Square Garden, et al. and have beer, unless you are very prepared to be shocked at its price.

Especially when you add the tip.

58 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

I'm well familiar with the prices at stadiums. And airports. And movie theaters. That's because you're trapped there. But you're not trapped at Top Hops - you can stroll two whole blocks and get the exact same product for less than half the cost.

51 minutes ago, Orik said:

I'm sure it's $4.99 at our corner bodega, but you get to pet their incredible cat! 

I think of that as a laziness surcharge. Can't be bothered to walk to or around the supermarket? Pay up.

3 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

I've never really thought about mark-ups for beer, but I assume the reason is the same as mark-ups for wine and liquor. I admit, 100% is outrageous, but I haven't thought about what the standard is.

It would different if I were drinking at a bar, instead of getting the beer to go. A draft ale at a bar would be a steal at $3.60. And the last time I went to Top Hops on Orchard, which was ages ago, they were indeed charging $3-$5 to grab a can from the cooler case. But this is not that! This is buying beer from a store!