Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

where do baby corns come from?   all joking aside, are they just regular corn that's picked before it's grown?

Whenever a colleague says "Can I ask a stupid question?", I respond, "Can you ask any other kind?". Just one of the reasons I am universally loved.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   Chemicals volatizing from the salt because of temperature? (Guessing.)

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Stone said:

So, if you made a big batch of chili, taco meat or something like that, and the leftovers were sitting in the fridge for three days, and you thought it was getting to be time to toss them, can you put it on the stove and bring it back to a simmer in order to restart the clock?

It depends.  I think 3 days in the fridge is acceptable especially if it was refrigerated asap after it cooled. Definitely boil chili, stock, etc for 1-10 minutes depending on the type of bacteria you want to kill. Taco meat might be a little more difficult to reheat safely, although again, if refrigerated soon after cooled, you're probably still safe.     

But if kept at room temperature for several hours or overnight, and then refrigerated? I'd still eat it unless cooked during the hottest and most humid times of the year, but I've always kept this in mind since first reading it:

Safety is one problem with keeping a stock at room temperature. Flavor is another. A reboiled three-day-old stock may be safe to eat, but it is now seasoned with millions to billions of dead bacteria and their inactivated toxins. It’s conceivable that they might add an interesting flavor, but more likely that the bacteria have feasted on the stock’s sugars and savory amino acids, the air has oxidized and staled the fat, and the stock has become less tasty.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/dining/bending-the-rules-on-bacteria-and-food-safety.html

16 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Not even during the three days of Summer?

We only get one day here. One day of summer, 334 days winter, 15 days each for spring and fall. I've already started getting cold-induced urticaria. Very unpleasant. 

And no, not even during that one day. Because we have big hungry mosquitoes, and my blood is very tasty. 

On 9/25/2021 at 12:49 AM, prasantrin said:

It depends.  I think 3 days in the fridge is acceptable especially if it was refrigerated asap after it cooled. Definitely boil chili, stock, etc for 1-10 minutes depending on the type of bacteria you want to kill. Taco meat might be a little more difficult to reheat safely, although again, if refrigerated soon after cooled, you're probably still safe.     

But if kept at room temperature for several hours or overnight, and then refrigerated? I'd still eat it unless cooked during the hottest and most humid times of the year, but I've always kept this in mind since first reading it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/dining/bending-the-rules-on-bacteria-and-food-safety.html

Of course you should buy a fridge, but if you like leaving your stock out for days then you should make it in a pressure cooker and then reheat it in a pressure cooker for 10 minutes once it's boiled. Might taste like crap but at least you won't die. 

• 3 weeks later...

say you go to a bar you’ve never been to before. you have a very nice talk with the bartender about beer.

there’s no possibility of sexual attraction, but it may be possible that he knows who you are from other bars or may think you’re in the industry.

you consume about fifty or sixty dollars worth of beer and are presented with a bill for twenty five.

what is an appropriate tip? the bar is not near where you live and you may or may not return.