Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

where do baby corns come from?   all joking aside, are they just regular corn that's picked before it's grown?

Whenever a colleague says "Can I ask a stupid question?", I respond, "Can you ask any other kind?". Just one of the reasons I am universally loved.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   Chemicals volatizing from the salt because of temperature? (Guessing.)

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

From a friend, who wonders what the hell to call this:

"One of my father’s favorite dishes is the Jewish stuffed chicken, no clue what its real name is. It’s the skin of the chicken stuffed with the mixture of its meat, fat, flour, onions, and spices, sewn up, and sautéed in salty chicken broth. Like a chicken gefilte fish."

Anyone heard of this before? She spent her early years in Ukraine, if that helps.

6 minutes ago, small h said:

From a friend, who wonders what the hell to call this:

"One of my father’s favorite dishes is the Jewish stuffed chicken, no clue what its real name is. It’s the skin of the chicken stuffed with the mixture of its meat, fat, flour, onions, and spices, sewn up, and sautéed in salty chicken broth. Like a chicken gefilte fish."

Anyone heard of this before? She spent her early years in Ukraine, if that helps.

Helzel?

1 hour ago, small h said:

She says that's pretty close, but she remembers it as being the whole chicken skin, not just the neck. But that might have been her family's modification once (as she puts it) they left the shtetl and moved to the city.

Yeah, and that takes some talent skinning a whole chicken without fucking up the skin if you want to use it as a sausage casing.

There is also stuffing the whole chicken with the same stuff you'd stuff the neck skin with.

On 12/10/2022 at 5:07 PM, joethefoodie said:

Yeah, and that takes some talent skinning a whole chicken without fucking up the skin if you want to use it as a sausage casing.

There is also stuffing the whole chicken with the same stuff you'd stuff the neck skin with.

Deboning and stuffing a whole chicken is a freaking nightmare. I made the Julia Child version maybe 30 years ago as a sort of stunt cooking event for the holidays and then my mom asked for it every year for many years. I think it reminded her of an awful dish my grandmother made that was some weird southern version of helzel (no matzoh but potatoes) stuffed in a turkey neck skin. It looked awful.

• Like 2

Rellenong manok (stuffed chicken) is one of the few things my mom is skilled at making. Or was. She's not as proficient with a boning knife now that she's older. Or any other knife, really.       

She can also expertly peel cooked shrimp using a fork and knife (or fork and spoon if we're at a Chinese restaurant). I don't know how she does it, because I've tried, but I can never get my shrimp at clean as hers.