Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

Further research suggests that preserve is a wider term and can mean salting, canning, freezing as well as jam making whereas conserve tends to mean preserving whole fruit in a sugar preparation with pectin to set the 'jam'.

And to follow up: according to my 46-yr-old Cassell's New French-English English-French Dictionary, the word "confit" is the past participle of confire, "to conserve, to candy, to pickle, to soak, to steep (skins), to keep, to preserve." Which is why confiture is jam or preserves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

where do baby corns come from?   all joking aside, are they just regular corn that's picked before it's grown?

Whenever a colleague says "Can I ask a stupid question?", I respond, "Can you ask any other kind?". Just one of the reasons I am universally loved.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   Chemicals volatizing from the salt because of temperature? (Guessing.)

Posted Images

as per the infallible wikipedia, bugs bunny is to blame.

The name took on connotations of a dolt when hunter Elmer Fudd was called "Nimrod" by Bugs Bunny in the popular Warner Bros. cartoons. Long before that, there are recorded instances of its use as a slang word to mean simply "hunter" (from the Genesis account).
Why is the name Nimrod (son of Cush, grandson of Ham, great-grandson of Noah, and "a mighty hunter before the Lord") used for an idiot?

In some literature, Nimrod is the guy who built the tower of Babel and basically a guy who sets his will against that of God. That might make one seem like an idiot or at least a jerk. Also planning to storm heaven in a chariot powered by birds when the tower thing doesn't work out, is maybe not so much the mark of a rocket scientist

Why is the name Nimrod (son of Cush, grandson of Ham, great-grandson of Noah, and "a mighty hunter before the Lord") used for an idiot?

In some literature, Nimrod is the guy who built the tower of Babel and basically a guy who sets his will against that of God. That might make one seem like an idiot or at least a jerk. Also planning to storm heaven in a chariot powered by birds when the tower thing doesn't work out, is maybe not so much the mark of a rocket scientist

Are you sure it's not because Bugs was an anti-semite?

these are probably not mutually exclusive theories, but i've never really considered looking into the heart of bugs bunny.

Elmer Fudd was Jewish?

Does it matter? If Bugs thought he was, and addressed him as such. I mean, heck, there's no doubt about Porky but who knew for certain with Elmer?

Elmer Fudd was Jewish?

Does it matter? If Bugs thought he was, and addressed him as such. I mean, heck, there's no doubt about Porky but who knew for certain with Elmer?

wouldn't it be nice if we could all just get along and only judge others by the content of their character or lack thereof.

Elmer Fudd was Jewish?

wouldn't it be nice if we could all just get along and only judge others by the content of their character or lack thereof.

Oh, I'm willing to put aside Elmer's obvious enjoyment of cross-dressing. He was obviously a heterosexual transvestite, given how much he enjoyed it when Bugs dressed like a lady. But that's neither here nor there. It's really Bugs we should be talking about.

I didn't know it was.