Clueless questions II (The Ones You Really Want Answered)

Not a food question, and something I should know but don't: what's a good GPA from a decent university?

on a 1-4 scale something darn close to 4.0. 3.8 is pretty respectable. but i graduated a hundred years ago, they might do grading a whole 'nother way in this century

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

where do baby corns come from?   all joking aside, are they just regular corn that's picked before it's grown?

Whenever a colleague says "Can I ask a stupid question?", I respond, "Can you ask any other kind?". Just one of the reasons I am universally loved.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.   Chemicals volatizing from the salt because of temperature? (Guessing.)

Not a food question, and something I should know but don't: what's a good GPA from a decent university?

on a 1-4 scale something darn close to 4.0. 3.8 is pretty respectable. but i graduated a hundred years ago, they might do grading a whole 'nother way in this century

i think they changed it so that 3.8 was average, no?

wasn't that grade inflation?

i don't remember, an ivy league college only cost a nickel, back when i attended

so a 3.8 is "pretty respectable" on mouthfuls? glad to know I have had the honor of interneting with you luminaries

It would depend on when they graduated. Grade inflation has run rampant the past 10 years or so. It also depends on the person's major. Hovering above 3.0 in certain engineering majors is quite good.

also depends on whether it's a graduate degree or an undergraduate degree.

where i went, less than 3.0 was considered a failing grade in graduate school.

i had one class -- a statistics class -- where there were no homework and no tests. prof lectured at the board the whole hour and only occasionally turned around to look at us.

i got a 3.8 in that class. i asked two questions in class during the term.

a colleague of mine asked one question in class during the term. he got a 3.9.

really wonder about the guy who asked questions almost every day.

when i was in college, delhi university in the late 80s, you got a first division if you scored 60% on the annual exams. in my first year, only five people enrolled in english honours in the entire university got first divisions (from about a thousand). the person who topped the university got 67%. my students are not pleased when i tell them this before handing back the first set of papers in a class.

when i was in college, delhi university in the late 80s, you got a first division if you scored 60% on the annual exams. in my first year, only five people enrolled in english honours in the entire university got first divisions (from about a thousand). the person who topped the university got 67%. my students are not pleased when i tell them this before handing back the first set of papers in a class.

Just imagine what it's like in subjects where there are wrong answers.

Ah, but you are.

What's a "decent" university? Damn, I hate GPA's. Sit in the front row and brown nose or sleep with 'em and share your weed and you get A's. Go ask an intelligent question that stumps the prof and you get a C. Some profs are just down right mean to certain types of students. Some colleges/universities understand their customers pay their salaries and feel it their responsibility to actually help a student get good grades and get them grants. An undergraduate GPA serves only to help shuffle you onward to graduate or medical school. My new hero (since Dr. Folkman died) is John Taylor Gatto (new book: Weapons of Mass Instruction) who reminds us of poor students or college dropouts who changed the world. If it were up to me, I'd interview the candidates about their work/study interests and extracurricular activities and then take them to lunch and watch their table manners/food selections.