Tie me up/tie me down

Love at First Bite: Instead of wearing promise rings on their ring fingers, this couple decided to amputate their ring fingers.

BME is full of good stories. :o

I do hope the fingers grow back when they separate. It's so sweet how couples want to pledge undying love, when they are clearly braindead.

well, this is hardly as damaging as a joint bank account. (unless one of them is a pianist)

Love at First Bite: Instead of wearing promise rings on their ring fingers, this couple decided to amputate their ring fingers.

BME is full of good stories. :o

I do hope the fingers grow back when they separate. It's so sweet how couples want to pledge undying love, when they are clearly braindead.

well, this is hardly as damaging as a joint bank account. (unless one of them is a pianist)

What? They're gonna deposit their joints in a bank?

I'm not sure how acceptable it is. We may not stone people but there is not a single person in my building who even wears an eyebrow ring to work. And you rarely see a sitcom character with odd piercing unless they are supposed to be the bad one.

Acceptance to or part of a disassociation with society. I think that plastic surgery for "transformative" beauty is another part of body mutilation, albeit a socially acceptable one. Rhinoplasty, lifts and implants cut into your body to alter it. Why is getting your tits blown out to a DDcup on a size 4 frame more acceptable than getting your back pierced? Both are equally painful, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

(although for me I think the back corseting, when done well, is perversely beautiful - I saw this performance once with these two women who had pierced their backs in a similar fashion and strung strings between binding them both together, which they then played - the sound changed as they bent and moved their bodies. It was quite fantastic).

The same rule applies to piercing as it does for tattoos which I've said before:

Go to someone good. My piercings are 16 years old and I've never had a problem with any of them - they have not grown out. Some shopgirl the other day was asking me if this is what her navel ring was supposed to look like - sore, raw and probably infected. I told her to take it out and go ask for her money back. I wish it was that easy with some of the plastic surgery I've seen.

I think that plastic surgery for "transformative" beauty is another part of body mutilation, albeit a socially acceptable one.

I agree completely. "Transformation" is a much better word to describe the comtemporary phenomenon than "mutilation." "Alteration" is even more neutral.

My tattoo is really faded - it's 16 years old. I want to color it in or refresh it somehow, and I'm just not sure how to do that.

Given that there is little or no regulation of the toxins in the inks, you might want to confer with a medical professional before you ink up.

When I got my tattoo, it was still illegal in NYC and the guys that were in business were really serious, and good. Now, every flipping corner has a tattoo parlor and I doubt seriously that any real regulating is going on.

I'm not doing anything any time soon.

My tattoo is really faded - it's 16 years old. I want to color it in or refresh it somehow, and I'm just not sure how to do that.

Sacred Tattoo on Canal St. (where I had mine done) has been in business for many years, and has an excellent reputation.

Touchup date, Om? :o