Let's start with Ceci Cela - I think it's terrific. Very good baguettes, good croissants, and their tarts are exceptionally good. I bought yet another one yesterday to bring to friends - this one a pear tart with a frangipani layer. Lots of butter, perfectly golden on top, and looked gorgeous. We finished the whole thing!

They serve good coffee, too. And very good espresso.

It's on Spring St. off the corner of Lafayette, right next to the uptown 6 train entrance.

Just good ones or are we including the bad ones too? There's a whole lot more of those. :o

I have only tried their mini cakes and cake balls, but I think the Black Hound does this type of dessert well. I don't love cakes and icing, but they are flavorful and not dry, as opposed to most places that make these so that they just taste sweet without any other flavor. For the opposite (meaning bad), look to similiar types of cakes at Fluff, which I think are uniformly dry and overly sweet.

Ceci Cela has a very nice lemon tart, too. One of the best I have ever had. Black Hound seems to be a crowd-pleaser but I confess that I lived across the street from there for years and hardly ever patronized the place. Don't have a sweet tooth.

Moshe's has really good hamentashen.

Ah, ok. Now I'm wondering if there's any connection between that one and the one on Grand St. The one on Grand St. is pretty far east, even more east than Kossar's, but on the north side of Grand.

But now that I think of it, isn't the one on 2nd called Moishe's and not Moshe's? I'm not sure.

I've had really good croissants, pain au chocolat, and other viennoiserie at The Adore ("the" not the english "the", but the french for tea, accent on the "e"). It's a tiny japanese-run french bakery, and their rotation of excellent baked goods changes every day. They serve a very large selection of Mariage Freres tea, and their iced Marco Polo tea is just so lovely.

The Adore

17 East 13th Street

New York, NY

212-243-8742

I'm not sure if they serve afternoon tea, since I've only ever been early in the morning after shopping at the USQ greenmarket. I'd imagine that they would though, seeing that they serve exclusively tea and accompanying teacakes and related pastries.

Moshe's has really good hamentashen.

Which are you referring to? the ones with the yeast dough? or the cookie dough?

Moshe's also has a very good board kichel - same dough as the bowties, but flat and sprinkled with sugar.