Digital camera recommendations

Those look great. Is that a Mike Nelson installation?

Christoph Buchel actually. Quite an odd installation even for the Hauser & Wirth galleries :lol:

It's a cross between an art installation and a fun house, where you climb into closets, freezers, or a refrigerator maze to get to things.

Fun.

Simply Botiful

Looks like a blast.

I wish I'd had the patience to hold out for the Leica, but considering the price of the Lumix (as it includes the Leica lens), I'll be happy to get half as good results as you're getting :lol:

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I'd had the patience to hold out for the Leica, but considering the price of the Lumix (as it includes the Leica lens), I'll be happy to get half as good results as you're getting :lol:

Leica makes a number of lenses (all of superb quality, to be sure). Is the lens on the Lumix the same as the one on the Leica?

Leica makes a number of lenses (all of superb quality, to be sure). Is the lens on the Lumix the same as the one on the Leica?

I'm told it is the same lens. The Leica does have a few features the Lumix doesn't, some extra white balance presets, etc., but it wasn't anything I thought a necessity for my purposes.

Blondie, which model of the Lumix is equivalent? I was looking at some the other day and was very tempted to buy.

The LX2

Thanks for the link. I'm tempted. My point and shoot Cannon does not do well with bright light conditions outdoors because of an inferior lens.

That's why I got it. My Canon A95 was decent and fine for work, but I wasn't happy with the photos I took in Barcelona a few months back. That sealed the deal.

I sent the specs to a longtime friend who is a photo whore and her only comment about cons was "only a small range of apertures...you'll never have a landscape where everything is in focus".

Pim's photos don't suggest this (assuming the lens is the same). Is this something you've noticed?

I sent the specs to a longtime friend who is a photo whore and her only comment about cons was "only a small range of apertures...you'll never have a landscape where everything is in focus".

Pim's photos don't suggest this (assuming the lens is the same). Is this something you've noticed?

I haven't noticed that, but I haven't really put it through the paces yet. I did just look at a whole slew of photos my boss took with his Leica on a location scout, NYC skylines and some shots of Huntington Harbor, and they looked very good, far better than my Canon.

I'm putting my Leica through its paces and still quite happy with the photos I have so far. I've noticed a few things though. The main thing is I seem to have lost an ability to hold a tiny camera steadily. Has anyone noticed that when switching back to a pocket cam from a DSLR or a SLR? I've got more blurry pictures than I've had in a long time, and I know it's not a problem with the camera's autofocus, since the next shot would come out just fine.

The Leica is great for people who know a little something about aperture or shutter speed and whatnot. There are a few auto options, but the choices are somewhat bizarre. There's no completely auto mode where the camera figures out everything, for one. But there's an auto mode called 'starry night' for shooting, yes, starry nights. I don't know about you but I don't often take photos of starry nights <_<

I'm putting my Leica through its paces and still quite happy with the photos I have so far. I've noticed a few things though. The main thing is I seem to have lost an ability to hold a tiny camera steadily. Has anyone noticed that when switching back to a pocket cam from a DSLR or a SLR? I've got more blurry pictures than I've had in a long time, and I know it's not a problem with the camera's autofocus, since the next shot would come out just fine.

It takes me a while to readjust, especially after I've been shooting action shots or have been using an image stabilized lens recently. It just has to re-enter my consciousness to make sure my hand is steady.

Rocky

Pim, Some higher end cameras are now featuring the image stabilizer capability.

um...I just bought a Leica <_<

Actually, Rocky had it right, it's just about re-adjusting. The balance for a tiny camera is completely different from holding big DSLR. For example, I have to remind myself not to push the shutter button so hard.

Back when I just had a tiny Sony DSC T-1 as my only camera, I had less trouble focusing with it than when I was using it as a rarely-used second camera to my DSLR.

hold a tiny camera steadily.

sometimes with my small elph, i hold it against my head as if it had an optical viewfinder when i take the picture. looks a bit odd, but it really does stabilize the image.

i went on two trips this summer: japan and mexico. the canon elph did great in japan but not so well in mexico. couldn't handle the light.

But there's an auto mode called 'starry night' for shooting, yes, starry nights. I don't know about you but I don't often take photos of starry nights <_<

I wonder if this is similar to the mode on my new Canon PowerShot S3 IS for night snapshots? It tries to balance the flash exposure on the subject with the ambient exposure of the background, but it'll need a tripod.

As for holding a tiny camera steadily, the same techniques apply as when using an SLR, but more so. An SLR is a bit more stable simply because it's mass resists motion. Less mass, less resistance. In addition to bracing the camera, holding your breath, gently squeezing the shutter, etc., since there are few automatic settings on your Leica, you still have the option of using the higher shutter speeds. Shutter speeds between 1/30 - 1/8 sec can be braced (normal to wide angle shots; use a wall, tabletop, whatever's available), but anything slower should be taken using a tripod. Other than that, as you said, "it's just about re-adjusting".

Blondie, does the Lumix has a 'food' mode? Saw it on the Leica and just had to try it.

Here's a shot from the dinner yesterday at Lao Thai in the 13e. The restaurant was brightly lit in places. The shot was taken with the auto 'food' mode, auto white balance, everything. The shot was taken in jpg, and here it is with no off camera tweak whatsoever. (BTW, the 'white' part of the blue and white plate was tinted a little blue in real life too.)

381064029_33c05af15a.jpg

Here's another one, same auto 'food' mode, no tweak here either. Caille à l'ail.

381063991_aff1035245.jpg

pim, is this the m8?

eta: re image stabilisers, i have only seen it in telephoto lenses. are they installing it in digital cameras too these days? these days, i simply turn it off and use the MF.

dear pim, leica digital be damned...<_<...just go for the M6. sometimes, one should resist the temptation to mess around with a classic.