Digital camera recommendations

The Nikon Coolpix 4800 has 400 megapixels and an awesome 8x OPTICAL zoom, equivalent to 35 - 300 mm in a 35mm film camera.. Around $350 on eBay.

I just checked the specs on dpreview... it's only 4 megapixels, not 400.

A little caution is sometimes needed when using the numeric keypad. :o

I agree with a number of the posters here in that regardless of the number of bells and whistles a camera has, none of it means a damn thing if the lens is a piece of crap. If there are certain qualities that you would look for in an SLR camera, don't lower your standards because you're now looking at digital.

A hint about eBay that I learned from a co-worker (IF you're not concerned about getting a local warranty): Get a camera from a reputable store in Japan. The models are are a year-or-so old by the time they are introduced to the North American market & the Japanese stores can't sell this "old" stuff locally anymore. Brand new, but old there. You might be able to save a couple hundred $$.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live by dpreview - there's great professional and devoted amateur info.......which is how i found my beloved digital camera. i wanted to spend up to 500$ with battery etc included and ended up with a panasonic lumix. besides all the desired excellent attributes, it's got a huge screen, is very beautiful to look at (in black) and......has a leica lens. being an old leica fan, i was thrilled. it's a wonderful camera and there is also a slightly bigger version that would be great to have for more intensive photography but the smaller one is just that - small. so, fun to carry around everywhere.

i live by dpreview - there's great professional and devoted amateur info.......which is how i found my beloved digital camera. i wanted to spend up to 500$ with battery etc included and ended up with a panasonic lumix. besides all the desired excellent attributes, it's got a huge screen, is very beautiful to look at (in black) and......has a leica lens. being an old leica fan, i was thrilled. it's a wonderful camera and there is also a slightly bigger version that would be great to have for more intensive photography but the smaller one is just that - small. so, fun to carry around everywhere.

This is an FZ 15 or FZ 20? Or?

My digital camera, a dinosaur at this point, is a Leica. I still love it. I believe that somebody else manufactured them for Leica at the time (Fuji?), but there are Leica components in it.

I would like to replace it with a smaller one at some point. Tell us more about yours, djk. I'm an old Leica fan too.

The Nikon Coolpix 4800 has 400 megapixels and an awesome 8x OPTICAL zoom, equivalent to 35 - 300 mm in a 35mm film camera..  Around $350 on eBay.
=mjc I just checked the specs on dpreview... it's only 4 megapixels, not 400.

A little caution is sometimes needed when using the numeric keypad. :lol:

Right you are, mcj. I'll be more careful in the future. Thanks for the heads-up.

My digital camera, a dinosaur at this point, is a Leica. I still love it. I believe that somebody else manufactured them for Leica at the time (Fuji?), but there are Leica components in it.

I would like to replace it with a smaller one at some point. Tell us more about yours, djk. I'm an old Leica fan too.

the new one just came out - i got mine last fall and already there is a better version. the reason i think the newer one is better is that they added more low light capacity, (tho mine is quite good on that subject which is important to me as i do a lot of low light photography) and they fixed the only con i had - longer battery life. it's got an anti shake thing so that you can use it in lower light w/o a tripod much more so than a sony for instance. everyone that sees it is impressed by its photographs, the way it looks and especially the lcd screen - very clean and crisp and large - about 2.5" x 2". it's light and slips into a pocket easily which makes it fun for point and shoot. the bigger version - which is called something like fx-20 or 24 is too big for constant carrying but great for more serious work. the opticals are excellent for this size camera. when i did the research for $500 and under, the two that had the best stats were this one and one of the canons, i can't remember the model number. i basically read every word on the forums and the ratings on dp review until i was satisfied, and i asked at B&H for their opinion - fwiw. check it out, and look at the black! (also comes in silver and blue)....

Panasonic DMC-FX9

5.9 million effective pixels

6.4 million sensor photo detectors

35 mm - 105 mm (3x) zoom lens

Announced 20-Jul-05

Anyone has any experience with the Canon EOS 20D? I really don't know much about cameras, digital or otherwise. Photography just seems like a fun subject to take on as a new hobby. Yes, so I am a dillettante, and one who wants a better toy. :lol:

A friend with a fancy photography degree has mentioned this one as a possibility. Anyone has it? How do you like it?

My little pocket one is the Sony DSC T1. A couple years old now but is still working just fine, I will keep using it when I want to be somewhat discrete with my activities.

actually, i'd sell my soul and my first born for a M6. i'll even throw in my mother and mother-in-law as a bonus if I can get my hands on a Leica.

Ah, so that was it. I had been wondering what it was you bargained your soul for.