Digital camera recommendations

Now Panasonic's site says the FX9 is due in August. Meanwhile the FX8K seems to be $300.00 at J&R.

mine is the fx7 - purchased for $427 on amazon actually. (i had a gift certificate there so....) and that was last autumn. i'm pretty sure that the fx9 is avail but can't remember where i read that. check amazon just for an fyi....

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, i'd sell my soul and my first born for a M6. i'll even throw in my mother and mother-in-law as a bonus if I can get my hands on a Leica.

Ah, so that was it. I had been wondering what it was you bargained your soul for.

eos 20D is 8 something megapixels. you dont need that much and you need to have a super fast computer to process those images. also, its a dslr. your dslr is only as good as your lens. and your lens have to be fast. really really fast lens. and they cost more than the camera. seriously.

i dont use my dslr anymore. unless there is a good studio setting and i have a steady tripod(mine is a manfrotto and i think i have a 3130 fluid head). its a pain travelling with a heavy tripod and i find that monopods are better..altho' your luggage WILL be picked upon if you can carry anything that remotely resembles a tripod/monopod. better leave your checked in luggage unlocked. unless you want shredded luggage.

three megapixels > printed to a 20x30 poster.

8 megapixels > overkill imo.

re the bargains i have made> i could tell you stories, but i'll have to kill you later.

eos 20D is 8 something megapixels. you dont need that much and you need to have a super fast computer to process those images. also, its a dslr. your dslr is only as good as your lens. and your lens have to be fast. really really fast lens. and they cost more than the camera. seriously.

I have a super fast computer. :lol: I'm an ex-geek.

I'm thinking about this lens for regular use, and perhaps a swanky macro lens (yet undecided) for close up shots of food or low light settings.

The mini Sony I have is already 5 MP, but I want to also play with other things like depth of field, etc.

What about the Canon Digital Rebel?

I have a super fast computer. :lol: I'm an ex-geek.

I'm thinking about this lens for regular use, and perhaps a swanky macro lens (yet undecided) for close up shots of food or low light settings.

The mini Sony I have is already 5 MP, but I want to also play with other things like depth of field, etc.

What about the Canon Digital Rebel?

i have that lens. well..it's not really a fast lens. and i think eos 20d has a focal length multiplier, unless i am mistaken. so 17 mm will be multiplied by 1.5x. effectively, you cant get any wide angle shots. and your fish eye lens, if you are rich enough to buy one, will be useless. digital rebel is a good entry level dslr.

dont buy from amazon. i only shop at bhphotovideo.com and they have the best price. but you have to go to nyc or buy them online. the shipping kinda equals the nyc taxes, so either way is ok. but its more fun going to the nyc venue as they do have a lot of toys. and they have a good reputation and good service dept. the staff are also very helpful.

now, re macro lens..canon 100mm macro is a standard. almost L series at a reasonable price(500$ iirc). i like prime lenses(no zoom) as the images are crystal clear and sharp. for low light situations, you need a really fast lens(f/1...mmmmmmmmmm). canon has some cheap prime lenses(ok..so the glass is really plastic), but they are infinitely better than ultra posh ground glass zoom lenses. of course, this is just my opinion and i am cheap.

get a 50mm canon prime(check if there are any lesser than 50mm as the 50mm will actually be 75+mm with a dslr that is CMOS tech, iirc...) and attach close up filters(canon has a few good ones). they will work fine. you might have dof issues, but thats when you put them through adobe for cropping and snipping.

edited to add: canon 50mm prime/macro

or

canon 100mm/macro lens

i have the latter and would recommend it. it's usm(ultra sonic motor) and will last you longer. but it is also my experience that ALL canon dslrs do better with lens in manual focus mode. i hope you dont wear glasses or if you do, prefer contact lens.

Canon EOS 20d

Focal length multiplier = 1.6x

So the 17-85mm lens is the equivalent of a 27-136mm lens on a 35mm slr.

F.B. was pretty close. :lol:

If pim wants to kick-up the geek factors several notches,

then check out The Gigapxl Project and the images that they've produced. :lol:

Early on, the goal was set at 1,000 megapixels. However, as technology has advanced, the bar has been raised to 4,000 megapixels; a figure that we expect to reach within the next several months.

BTW: THAT camera isn't for sale. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

So I did it.

Just picked up the Canon EOS 20D, with that 17-85 lens with Image Stability. I decided to buy it at a local shop in the city, since I am sure I will run into all sorts of idiotic problems. Buying from a local shop means I could always get back there and bug them.

I tried a few other lens, but this one seems like the one I would get the most use out of.

I am still a sucky "photographer" I am sure, but now I am a sucky one with a very cool toy. :lol:

So I did it.

Just picked up the Canon EOS 20D, with that 17-85 lens with Image Stability. I decided to buy it at a local shop in the city, since I am sure I will run into all sorts of idiotic problems. Buying from a local shop means I could always get back there and bug them.

I tried a few other lens, but this one seems like the one I would get the most use out of.

I am still a sucky "photographer" I am sure, but now I am a sucky one with a very cool toy. :lol:

congrats.

just one lens now? hah! watch the family multiply. resistance is futile.

just one lens now? hah! watch the family multiply. resistance is futile.

Just the one. Just for now I suppose. I tried 1.8 (I think) macro lens and it was so huge I could hardly imagine myself carrying it around. I was scared.

I'm sure I'll expand the family soon enough, but I guess I should first learn to use all the knobs and dials on what i've got first!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, I know this is a really, really stupid question, but: Is it really necessary to load the software that comes with a new camera into the computer? Without it, will the computer be able to read the memory card? I have adequate editing for my needs between JASC and Picasa and if all the new software does is more or less duplicate that, I'd rather save the room on my hard drive.

Okay, I know this is a really, really stupid question, but: Is it really necessary to load the software that comes with a new camera into the computer? Without it, will the computer be able to read the memory card? I have adequate editing for my needs between JASC and Picasa and if all the new software does is more or less duplicate that, I'd rather save the room on my hard drive.

My mac needed nothing. Plug in the camera and get the pictures. It treats the camera as a drive.