Digital camera recommendations

I have a stupid question: Can I use my old memory cards from my Canon Powershot s200? It uses Compact Flash card. And the additional batteries I bought for it?

this camera takes sd cards, so, no, you wouldn't be able to use your compact flash card. bums me out because i just bought a big one a few months ago--not very expensive, but still. i wish they would standardize.

looking at the page for it on dpreview i see it takes aa's (nimh recommended) so i'm golden. don't know what batteries your old one took.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pim, where were those taken?  The first shot (sardines?) is making me hungry - nice work. 

Have fun getting acquainted with the rest of the features and contraptions - can't wait to see what comes next!

They were from my trip last week to the Riviera. We went to two markets in Italy mostly to shop for food, in Ventimiglia and San Remo, and spent time cooking, in Mougins, in the hills just above Cannes. (Follow these links to see more photos, should you be so inclined.)

I think I'm going to take a class or something when I get back to SF. There are too many buttons and thingies in this camera that I have no idea what to do with. But that's the goal of buying this camera anyway, to learn more about photography, so it should be lots of fun.

this camera takes sd cards, so, no, you wouldn't be able to use your compact flash card. bums me out because i just bought a big one a few months ago--not very expensive, but still. i wish they would standardize.

looking at the page for it on dpreview i see it takes aa's (nimh recommended) so i'm golden. don't know what batteries your old one took.

So this is all kind of a drag. Are AAA batteries more desirable than a Canon battery? I guess if you're traveling and stuck. And SD cards? I have to kill someone for coming up with all these formats. I have a hard drive's worth of these cards.

It's AA, not AAA. The proprietary Li-on batteries are lighter in weight and that is an advantage. People generally use rechargable NiMH (AA) batteries for environmental reasons, but disposable AAs can be used in a pinch if the charge runs out and you are not carrying a spare set. That is an advantage. Take your pick.

The Li-on batteries are much more expensive.

So thank you Lippy and Mongo for adding to my credit card debt! I got caught up in the fever and ordered a camera last night. Tana found a site that gives you the best prices and for $339 and free shipping I got the 7.4 megapixel version. It was the macro issue that sold me as I really need to get up close for some bean shots so I guess it's a real need, not a want and I'm not a self-indulgent brat. Really.

I got this at Buydig last night and I just got an email saying it already shipped!

So thank you Lippy and Mongo for adding to my credit card debt! I got caught up in the fever and ordered a camera last night. Tana found a site that gives you the best prices and for $339 and free shipping I got the 7.4 megapixel version. It was the macro issue that sold me as I really need to get up close for some bean shots so I guess it's a real need, not a want and I'm not a self-indulgent brat. Really.

I got this at Buydig last night and I just got an email saying it already shipped!

is that $339 before the rebate? because i see that the rebate is conditional--requires you to buy something else as well.

It's AA, not AAA. The proprietary Li-on batteries are lighter in weight and that is an advantage. People generally use rechargable NiMH (AA) batteries for environmental reasons, but disposable AAs can be used in a pinch if the charge runs out and you are not carrying a spare set. That is an advantage. Take your pick.

The Li-on batteries are much more expensive.

I believe that the rechargeable batteries last significantly longer. (That is, you get many more pictures per charge of the rechargeable than you do from one set of regular batteries.)

is that $339 before the rebate? because i see that the rebate is conditional--requires you to buy something else as well.

I didn't know about a rebate. It was a flat 339.

Thank you, Tana.  I wish my photos were half as breath-taking as yours.

Mongo -- here's a link to some A610 pix, including some macros.

Hey, Lippy, this reminded me of you.

I know you are more focused on architecture, but still. It's New York*. What a glorious shot of laundry, gargoyles, bricks, the absent signage on the yellow (looks like bullet holes), and a tinge of grafitti. So many other details, too.

What a colorful place to walk around.

Ciao, and looking forward more to your own walks.

*How does one spell this phonetically? Neither "Yoik" nor "Yawk," maybe "Yok"?

I'll have photos tomorrow but my initial reaction is WOW. I took a macro by only kitchen light and it's gorgeous. My old camera couldn't have done that. The housing feels a little thin without the batteries but with it feels fine. It's much bigger than my S200, so much so that I think I'm keeping the old one for carrying in my pocket when I don't want the big camera. The interface is so similar that I don't think I'm going to have to refer to the manual at all except with these manual settings.

I was pretty happy to find three 128mb sd cards with my mp3 player that will now be used in the camera.

• 4 weeks later...