Musings on life's twists and turns

Tonight's email from John:

"I have this fantastic recipe for chile, so while Daniel and Nataly were working on flute I went to the store - and couldn't get chili spice - finally, in frustration, I got two cans of ready made [to my anguish, with BEANS - gawdalmighty] -

so, I cooked it up with lots of other stuff added [celery, onion, fresh tomatoes, and whatever else I could find - oh yeah, and a cup of red wine] - served with avocado chunks

It smelled so good that Daniel was very open to staying for a "bowl o' red" with us. Nataly loved it - we'll make a Texan out of her yet! "

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well friends: Nataly got engaged today ! She and her boyfriend of 5 years are in Costa Rica on holiday and he popped the question. Our girl is getting married!!!!!

So last Saturday in the Austin paper we read about Colombian orphans in town, hoping to be adopted. Hmmm...interesting.....my husband made a phone call - just to ask, that's all.   Right.   Yester

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93958605@N00/12180982133/   Nataly is doing great. She has a job in the Deli dept. at HEB. She lives with her boyfriend, a 6'4" redheaded graduate from the Univ. of Texa

7 pm , Tuesday evening

Just got this email from John:

"I just got a call from our lawyer - today we got the "concept" - the response from the defensora de familia -the gov't atty. who supposedly represents the best interests of the children but in this case is just a [deleted for unacceptable content] - of course there is no opposition to our petition - now it goes to the judge for the final decree, the "sentencia".

Technically, the judge has up to 10 business days to render a decision. We think in this case we will get it much faster than that for a bunch of reasons, including our lawyer going out of her way to treat the judge's court administrator like a human being.

Whatever, a new hurdle has been overcome."

Okay, everyone:

ONE more step to go - sentencia .

No news from the judge today. I honestly think it's gonna happen tomorrow.

Monday is ANOTHER holiday. Just so you know.

John sent along two photos: one is of Nataly's bbq dinner tonight at a local restaurant. The girl does love meat. She'll have no trouble adjusting to Texas food, nor to hanging out with her dad over here.

The second photo is of her in her new sweater. She's been wearing...and wearing the same red sweater for months now: John's mom sent it to her for Christmas last year. John told her today that she had to buy something new to wear, but that she didn't have to throw the red sweater away - she could frame it, for all he cared, but she needed something NEW and not ratty! So here she is in her new sweater. Isn't she beautiful? I am so blessed with two gorgeous daughters.

...bbqplateparillaplatoconconcoca.jpg]

natalywithnewhoodie3cc.jpg]

Nothing happened today. And Monday is a holiday. John and Nataly are flying to Cartagena on Sunday for a few days because they are going crazy in Bogota.

I'm bummed. Can barely write about it. Talk to y'all next week.

Oh, don't say that! Judging by your accounts, it's almost over! Just be thankful they can fly anywhere to relieve their boredom (if only I could!). That's gotta be pretty sweet.

She looks mighty pretty in that last photo. Best start digging the pits with spikes in the bottom in the front yard now for the boys that'll be thronging around.

Oh, don't say that! Judging by your accounts, it's almost over! Just be thankful they can fly anywhere to relieve their boredom (if only I could!). That's gotta be pretty sweet.

Yes, and not just 'anywhere' - Cartagena. Fascinating old seaport town. Where they filmed Romancing the Stone. I'd love to be going to Cartagena.

So try to look on the bright side.

And it surely can't be much longer now.

After all, don't they have to have it settled in ten days, by law?

She looks mighty pretty in that last photo. Best start digging the pits with spikes in the bottom in the front yard now for the boys that'll be thronging around.

That was my first thought :blush: !

And look at it this way..... the VERY WORST it can be is ten days. Not so bad considering how far you've come.

I think it's time to put the champagne on ice.

This is what I'm thinking. I suppose though the closer it is to being resolved the harder it can be to wait any longer.

John and Nataly are happily exploring Cartagena - Nataly ate her first oyster yesterday. John says that it's a wonderful city, and quite wasted on the young. He told me that there are fabulous seafood restaurants and that we shall have to visit together. They return to Bogota late tomorrow.

I received an email from Carmen, the admin of Ciudadela: the orphanage is to remain open, so we are going to go ahead with some of the repairs that we had planned. I'll keep you all posted on that. I have about $1000 to spend: that will cover the new "secadora" and the painting of the bedrooms. We had walked the grounds with a contractor. Mario will be our factotum during the repairs.

I can also now let the guy at Encyclopedia Britannica know that he can have the DVD's delivered to Carmen for the school.

Alice is going to help me create a Power Point presentation and I'll start doing the rounds of churches and schools. In her email, Carmen did ask me if I knew of any organization that might want to sponsor the orphanage and provide some much-needed cash for repairs and educational materials for the girls, and perhaps more vocational training. I have to think about that.

Any good ideas out there???

Jane, how about a blog/website for Ciudadela...with a PayPal button for contributions?

I think this is just a brilliant idea. Jane, I'd be happy to help some with a pretty design and advice on hosting and stuff like that. This story is so touching.

And you might get in touch with Rotary International and see if there are any new clubs forming in Texas. New clubs are often looking for a cause to support, and they link to those causes through their club website, which links through the main Rotary International website.

Existing clubs generally already have all of the charitable causes they can afford, but a new club might be looking for one.

And affiliating with an existing organization like Rotary or Lions, etc., would give it instant credibility.