Musings on life's twists and turns

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well friends: Nataly got engaged today ! She and her boyfriend of 5 years are in Costa Rica on holiday and he popped the question. Our girl is getting married!!!!!

So last Saturday in the Austin paper we read about Colombian orphans in town, hoping to be adopted. Hmmm...interesting.....my husband made a phone call - just to ask, that's all.   Right.   Yester

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93958605@N00/12180982133/   Nataly is doing great. She has a job in the Deli dept. at HEB. She lives with her boyfriend, a 6'4" redheaded graduate from the Univ. of Texa

Found out last night that my surname isn't Schulhoff. Because of a situation with my great grandfather, he changed his name (and from what I have determined not legally).

My true surname is Fehrensen.

And from what I just learned he listed "Bavaria" as his place of birth. Feher is a small city in the north of Switzerland, which has its own coat of arms. So as a son of Feher, just learned that I'm Swiss - as least on my father's side. Also learend the city is more that 75% Catholic - so that explains why my father's side was Catholic as opposed to Lutheran.

foodie52: as you can readily see from the above posts, there's no magic age to reveal these things. Apparently, Rich's family held on to the info. about his background until he was mature enough to be able to handle it and, from their perspective, that was after he turned 60 (or is it 80?). Now Peg (Rich's wife), Ginny & I and other friends will have to carefully monitor him to make sure that they didn't act too early. :ph43r:

Seriously, I think that there is a DNA test battery that will give a health profile and I recall hearing about the company that prasantrin cited. Maybe Peg knows more about this... she's a noted MD in the children health field. I'll ask her (or maybe Rich will). My own take on revealing history and providing information is that there's only "gut feeling" in determining when the "right" time might be. And you/your husband are clearly in the best position to figure that out for Natalie. My 2cents would be that the only factor worth considering in the decision is whether the info. can be safely emotionally handled by her.

Again, you have my utmost respect for what you have accomplished and what you've been willing to do. Have fun this summer in your travels.

• 1 year later...

Nataly is visiting Bogota for the first time on her own. She bought her ticket (saved up for it from her earnings) and is staying with Mariem. Mario picked her up at the airport.

While we were packing for the trip , she told me she needed one nice outfit for Tuesday, I asked her what was happening Tuesday and she said, "I'm going to be representing you at Hogares Club Michin." (The orphanage where we provide vocational training )Pause. "And I don't want to look like them".

Here's the email we received from her last night:

hello
I am fine and happy
Mariem and I when shopping for things that I need
I will have to renew my Colombian Passport because my does not have
the cedula information in it. so I am doing that on Monday. Is not festivo Un milagro!!!!
it does rian a lot but is bogota. On Tuesday I am going to Hogares
Those are my plans so far
miss you a lot
love of
NJTK emo5.gif

I love the joke about it not being a holiday on Monday! During the adoption, we ran into so many weeks that had Monday holidays and slowed all processes down.

How far we have come....

Nataly is visiting Bogota for the first time on her own. She bought her ticket (saved up for it from her earnings) and is staying with Mariem. Mario picked her up at the airport.

While we were packing for the trip , she told me she needed one nice outfit for Tuesday, I asked her what was happening Tuesday and she said, "I'm going to be representing you at Hogares Club Michin." (The orphanage where we provide vocational training )Pause. "And I don't want to look like them".

Here's the email we received from her last night:

hello

I am fine and happy

Mariem and I when shopping for things that I need

I will have to renew my Colombian Passport because my does not have

the cedula information in it. so I am doing that on Monday. Is not festivo Un milagro!!!!

it does rian a lot but is bogota. On Tuesday I am going to Hogares

Those are my plans so far

miss you a lot

love of

NJTK emo5.gif

I love the joke about it not being a holiday on Monday! During the adoption, we ran into so many weeks that had Monday holidays and slowed all processes down.

How far we have come....

I love this.

hollywood, I wouldn't even know how to begin making a film. I tried to pitch the blog as a book to a number of editors years ago. Had some interest but then dropped.

I wanted proceeds from sales to go to the charity. I need someone younger than I, more savvy and with a lot more experience in publishing/pitching/writing.

• 5 months later...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93958605@N00/12180982133/

Nataly is doing great. She has a job in the Deli dept. at HEB. She lives with her boyfriend, a 6'4" redheaded graduate from the Univ. of Texas. He works for Time Warner. I believe there may be a wedding in 2015. Her dog, Tonalli, is still alive and kicking. Nataly is happy and healthy, and loves her life. We are blessed. And so is she.

(again, if any of you have the skills to upload the photo, have at it......sheesh......)

• Like 1