I LOVE MY JOB/I HATE MY JOB

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today, I love my job   Just received an advance of a book I have been working on for over a year   The crispness of the pages and the cover along with the quality of what is on the inside gives me

John Grisham's 'The King of Torts' explains Ron's clients excellently. Anny

I like pi.

Notice no one ever maligns any other profession for making money?

The press in the UK certainly malign anyone making money: lawyers, doctors in private practice, City bankers, MD's, CEO's anyone they term as a 'Fat Cat'.

As someone who represents plaintiffs (albeit not class actions) I have learned to get used it. The feeling one gets from helping a horribly injured person or a child who lost a parent helps take the sting out of the namecalling instigated by the insurance industry and corporate america.

Ron I admire your ethics.

We are acquiring a Cotes-du-Rhone - 2000 cases of the 2002 vintage - so I bought a sample of the producer's other Cotes-du-Rhone, and big trouble afoot - they're using synthetic cork, which is counter to the deal we just signed. So now I have a big problem - they are claiming that we agreed to use their "standard" elements. So we'll see. Awaiting a copy of the signed deal from our French liaison/representative.

We are acquiring a Cotes-du-Rhone - 2000 cases of the 2002 vintage - so I bought a sample of the producer's other Cotes-du-Rhone, and big trouble afoot - they're using synthetic cork, which is counter to the deal we just signed. So now I have a big problem - they are claiming that we agreed to use their "standard" elements. So we'll see. Awaiting a copy of the signed deal from our French liaison/representative.

2002 was a difficult vintage for Southern Rhone with all the storms and flooding late in the season. Was your producer able to escape the bad weather?

Why is your company anit-synthetic cork*?

* Not that I have a preference, just curious.

Okay, Miss J, I'll bite. What's a "codified user experience initiative"?

User experience is the catch-all term for what human beings have when they use a computer application. Ever since the Internet became a business space, user experience online has become a fairly significant issue for a lot of companies. However, the academic learnings at the heart of the PRACTICE of good user experience (HCI - Human-Computer Interaction) have occasionally been difficult to include in a wider interactive/Internet marketing/business/customer servicing strategy because there's just TOO MANY learnings to be incorporated into global design guidelines (especially those intended to be used by people with no background in UE).

So we codified a methodology. Step 1: choose macro level user context, Step 2: here's some micro use cases that could a apply to your selected user context, please select the ones that apply to the experience you're trying to design, Step 3: here's some research-supported design guidelines you can use to make sure you don't make any serious errors in experience design. (You just fell asleep when I wrote that, no?)

I'm a geek. I admit it. :unsure:

Hmmm - there probably isn't a real world example for the "codified" bit of the user experience initiative, because that's the bit that's pretty unreal. But I take your point, Anny. ;)

Buying something online (like a plane ticket, or a book) is a good example. The "shopping cart" functionality you find on websites - select item on page, click on cart, view/edit/remove item, go to check out - was refined through heavy use and testing during the dotcom boom. These days, shopping carts are about as easy to use as they can be in the current HTML-based web. However, at the start of the dotcom boom there were all sorts of different types of "shopping carts," and some e-commerce sites didn't even bother designing a "cart" type experience. (Metaphors can be very helpful in designing user experiences.) This made the simple process of choosing and item and buying it incredibly confusing, and there's no doubt that sales were lost because of it.

SO - now, if you wanted to create a decent shopping cart for your own website, you can trawl around a number of e-commerce sites and observe what the key design features of a good shopping cart are. BUT, there are a million other processes involved in creating good web experiences, and most of them are far more complex than shopping carts. However, most people involved in web design (graphic designers, developers, business people, etc) don't know HOW to go about finding out the best way to design those processes, or where to go to find best practices. (Most websites still score pretty low on usability, so checking what's out there for anything apart from shopping cart design is a little risky.)

So we created a tool (methodology?) for non-usability professionals, designed to help them define what experience they're trying to build (buy something? learn about something?) and then gradually refine that definition until they end up with a list of best practices in design appropriate to what their customers want to do.

:unsure:

Some days in my line of work something so special crosses your desk that you just have to sit down for a minute and take it all in

We are working with the incomparable R Crumb on a book called, er "The R Crumb Handbook" and he just sent us the layouts for the first few chapters. All in original artwork form

Astonishing to see the work of a genre creating artist at first hand. It is being scanned then straight to a secure place for safe keeping

I always like my job. it is not a job, it is a passion. Days like this make it an honour

S

he just sent us the layouts for the first few chapters. All in original artwork form

Astonishing to see the work of a genre creating artist at first hand. It is being scanned then straight to a secure place for safe keeping

If you intend on keeping them long term - and that's probably a good idea - I'd show them to a paper conservator, or inquire of one about conserving the paper itself. Then store between sheets of acid free paper in a dust free container. Remove them only to say to your heirs, "One day, these will be yours." Then back into the dark.

Unfortunately, my colleague who has a place near his in France ( she takes the "Thigh & Butt" class Aileen teaches which is how we got to know them ) has to take it back next weekend :(

But, to have about 70 + pieces of original R Crumb in the place for only a short while is wonderful and to spend a few hours pouring over his work is worth every penny the book will cost

it is going to be a great book ( SHILL ALERT ) with him drawing and artworking the whole thing and producing a CD of him singing some of his faves from his legendary collection of 78's

I think we are hoping to have a launch at the Morris gallery in NY

S