cheeses i've recently tried

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i was just wondering what cheeses people were trying now, maybe because of the season's offerings or just because. i was buying some favorites recently and then got turned onto two new one's that seem

Hmmm, the Boucheron I had didn't taste or look mass-produced. I'll have to ask them about that.   I wish I could eat some cheese right now, but I'm coughing up auto parts with the cold Logie brough

In addition to the Brillat-Savarin and Boucheron cheeses I brought home on New Year's Eve, I also got a Truf, a special soft goat cheese with truffles from Caseificio dell'Alta Langa, which is in the

Roth Käse Gran Queso. Similar to a Manchego, but milder and a little less nutty. A good snacking cheese.

And made from cow's milk in Wisconsin! Who would have guessed!

Had this cheese last night. Very nice.

Dug into the Camembert Le Rustique today. Those lush green pastures the cows grazed on must have been full of those stinky onion-family weeds that grow in our lawn every spring. Yuck. To my taste this just doesn't work, this is not a flavor that I'm enjoying in my cheese.

This is a milder & less aromatic cheese than the Fournois, but where that one is satisfying, this just annoys. Not again.

• 2 months later...

some more good cheeses at the new amsterdam market today - the terrific Red Hook Red and Mosaic, a very lovely buttery raw milk blue from Birchrun Hills in PA and killer fresh ricotta from Narrangasett Creamery in RI.

the red hook red and mosaic are pretty pungent funky creamy cheeses, great stuff. the blue is rather mild but so delicious.

Has anyone here tried casu marzu?

I'll bear your child if you have - it would take such bravery...

jebsus, i doubt if anyone could bear children after eating that mess

Casu marzu is considered toxic when the maggots in the cheese have died. Because of this, only cheese in which the maggots are still alive is eaten. When the cheese has fermented enough, it is cut into thin strips and spread on moistened Sardinian flatbread (pane carasau), to be served with a strong red wine. Casu marzu is believed to be an aphrodisiac by local Sardinians. Because the larvae in the cheese can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres (6 in) when disturbed, diners hold their hands above the sandwich to prevent the maggots from leaping into their eyes. Those who do not wish to eat live maggots place the cheese in a sealed paper bag. The maggots, starved for oxygen, writhe and jump in the bag, creating a "pitter-patter" sound. When the sounds subside, the maggots are dead and the cheese can be eaten
Has anyone here tried casu marzu?

I'll bear your child if you have - it would take such bravery...

jebsus, i doubt if anyone could bear children after eating that mess

Casu marzu is considered toxic when the maggots in the cheese have died. Because of this, only cheese in which the maggots are still alive is eaten. When the cheese has fermented enough, it is cut into thin strips and spread on moistened Sardinian flatbread (pane carasau), to be served with a strong red wine. Casu marzu is believed to be an aphrodisiac by local Sardinians. Because the larvae in the cheese can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres (6 in) when disturbed, diners hold their hands above the sandwich to prevent the maggots from leaping into their eyes. Those who do not wish to eat live maggots place the cheese in a sealed paper bag. The maggots, starved for oxygen, writhe and jump in the bag, creating a "pitter-patter" sound. When the sounds subside, the maggots are dead and the cheese can be eaten

It should be renamed casu URP!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...