Guest Abra

September Food and Wine

As soon as our house hunting from hell pays off we hopefully will be able to host an event but the 60 year old 4 burner electric is not a sight I'd like to introduce you all to!! :lol:

I really want to meet all of you, but can't host until the Mortgage Guy believes my earnings, OR we win the lottery. Odds are on in the meantime!

Cheers,

Guest Abra

Steve has come to the rescue and says that he'll host this event. I think we ought to make his house our Official Food and Wine Recipe Test Site. However, he's off to the mountains for a few days, so we'll wait until he comes back to pick a date.

Because there's so much a la minute stuff, this might take a slightly different strategy than the Spanish dinner - but Steve always likes to do courses anyway, so that ought to work fine.

Does anyone remember if Steve has a grill? I'm tempted by the Skirt Steak with Shiso-Shallot Butter, or the Fiery Grilled Beef Salad. Or the Dan Dan noodles, if I can figure out how to do hand-shaved noodles. So many good recipes!

Guest rockdoggydog

Dang! I was going to go for the Dan Dan noodles, Abra you can get fresh noodles that are a fairly close approximation of hand shaved noodles from Ranch 99. Though I might be able to convince Rocking Wok to sell us some uncooked ones.

Rocky

Guest Abra

Noodles are all yours, Rocky. I just spent the last 15 minutes googling for a hand-shaved recipe, to absolutely no avail. I wasn't meaning to claim them, just wishful-thinking.

By the way, there are lots of interesting sake recommendations in the issue - should we do a sake tasting? Or make sake and sake-based drinks the liquid theme?

I would like the spinach and tofu pot stickers as the recipe is a little different than the ones I already make. I will also bring non-alcohol beverages and some tea. wl

I like the sesame noodles & prosciutto myself, and I bet that Bill could be convinced to make the Vietnamese coffee ice-cream though not the profiteroles - he freezes, he doesn't bake :lol:

FYI if you have trouble reading the recipes online PM me :lol:

Guest Abra

Ok, the attendance list so far:

Wendy and Dayne?

Tamiam and Rick?

Rocky (and Dani?) - Dan Dan Noodles with Pickled Mustard Greens

Gourmetlight$

White Lotus (and Dance?) - Spinach and Tofu Potstickers

Eden and Bill - Sesame Noodles with Prosciutto

Scarlett

SeaGal (and Gary?)

Lauren?

Steve

Abra and Shel - Garlic-Brined Pork Banh Mi

Guest Abra

WL, my bad! I was channeling Laurel, I guess, who hasn't even posted on this thread yet. What can I say? It sounds like something Laurel would have wanted to make? Lame, I know.

Depending on what the date turns out to be I might like to get in on this one. Can I be a tentative participant until the date is decided????

Della

WL, my bad!  I was channeling Laurel, I guess, who hasn't even posted on this thread yet.  What can I say?  It sounds like something Laurel would have wanted to make?  Lame, I know.

Yayyyy... I get to do potstickers. wl