Franny's: Pizza in Park Slope

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

NY Metro has a piece this week about Franny's in Park Slope, which they describe as OTTO, but in the pizzeria world. The writers suggest this is one of the great pizzerias in NY, not just in Brooklyn.

And I haven't been at all.

I'd like to pit Franny against Mrs. Totonno in a cage match.

You know, I'm all for saving the planet and all that but Ms. Franny is flying at the outer limits of the stratosphere. From their website -

The two owners of franny's, FRANCINE STEPHENS and ANDREW FEINBERG, have a strong commitment to creating an environmentally responsible business. While their commitment to sustainable agriculture has been part of franny’s since it’s inception-- defined as purchasing locally grown foods and serving them in the seasons during which they are grown--their business itself has grown increasingly sustainable over the past three years. The vegetables, fruits, eggs, dairy, and fish are largely sourced from local and/or organic producers; all the meats at franny's are from sustainable sources, containing no hormones or antibiotics. Additionally, franny’s uses renewable energy, made up of 35% wind power and 65% small hydroelectric power, purchased from Con Edison Solutions; the coffee is fair-trade and sustainably produced; the cleaning and dishwashing products are earth-friendly; kitchen grease is converted into biodiesel fuel; the menu is printed on recycled paper; and the to-go containers are made from biodegradable materials.

I would dearly love to stage a steel cage death match between her and the owner of Aliseo* for the title of King of the Moral High Ground.

* A restaurant in Prospect Heights which features exclusively Sicilian products. On a visit with friends the owner was complimented on a wine that was served on a previous visit. He announced that the wine was no longer available since he had learned it had only been cultivated in Sicily for 400 years and wasn't sufficiently authentic.

You know, I'm all for saving the planet and all that but Ms. Franny is flying at the outer limits of the stratosphere. From their website -

The two owners of franny's, FRANCINE STEPHENS and ANDREW FEINBERG, have a strong commitment to creating an environmentally responsible business. While their commitment to sustainable agriculture has been part of franny’s since it’s inception-- defined as purchasing locally grown foods and serving them in the seasons during which they are grown--their business itself has grown increasingly sustainable over the past three years. The vegetables, fruits, eggs, dairy, and fish are largely sourced from local and/or organic producers; all the meats at franny's are from sustainable sources, containing no hormones or antibiotics. Additionally, franny’s uses renewable energy, made up of 35% wind power and 65% small hydroelectric power, purchased from Con Edison Solutions; the coffee is fair-trade and sustainably produced; the cleaning and dishwashing products are earth-friendly; kitchen grease is converted into biodiesel fuel; the menu is printed on recycled paper; and the to-go containers are made from biodegradable materials.

It's a good thing they don't tell you what happens to the bathroom waste.

But seriously, why criticize people for trying to do what's right? I mean, they're not posturing or anything: they DO all that stuff. Good for them.

You almost sound like you're getting sick of Brooklyn, Lex.

I haven't been to Franny's in a while, and always liked the food a lot (although I don't think I ever had anything outside of pizza,salads and some sausage), but the management attitude reeks of holier-than-thou and many of the servers are imbued with this. And many of the servers in my experience are snippy verging on downright rude. Except for the bartenders who are very friendly.

But seriously, why criticize people for trying to do what's right? I mean, they're not posturing or anything: they DO all that stuff. Good for them.

Loud chest beating righteousness always pisses me off. "Look at me! I'm better than you!" If she wants to recycle and use windmills, swell. Just don't put up billboards featuring yourself wearing a halo. She reminds me of a cross between Bono and Sting. Darling, you're not in the Sudan rescuing starving children. You're on Flatbush Ave. selling pizzas. Get over yourself.

Any man who is tired of Brooklyn is tired of life itself.

Our waiter was very nice. And I dont mind their biz plan either. I'm even willing to spend more to support some moral high ground issues, in much the same way that I'll spend more for a restaurant with more comfortable chairs. But the bottom line for me remains that the food has to be worth it. I'm sure I'll make it back there, but it's not on my short list or my destination list or my best of brooklyn list or...

Loud chest beating righteousness always pisses me off. "Look at me! I'm better than you!" If she wants to recycle and use windmills, swell. Just don't put up billboards featuring yourself waving a halo. She reminds me of a cross between Bono and Sting. Darling, you're not in the Sudan rescuing starving children. You're on Flatbush Ave. selling pizzas. Get over yourself.

The person who was supposed to bring the pizza wheel (because obviously presenting a cut-up pizza is bad for the environment) was a no show! :angry:

Loud chest beating righteousness always pisses me off. "Look at me! I'm better than you!" If she wants to recycle and use windmills, swell. Just don't put up billboards featuring yourself waving a halo. She reminds me of a cross between Bono and Sting. Darling, you're not in the Sudan rescuing starving children. You're on Flatbush Ave. selling pizzas. Get over yourself.

The person who was supposed to bring the pizza wheel (because obviously presenting a cut-up pizza is bad for the environment) was a no show! :angry:

I purchased carbon credits though..

I've had an iffy stomach the past couple of days.

Too bad. I had a small black case with the pizza wheel inside all ready to go. I had planned to bring it out with a flourish the way the Blues Brothers used to present Belushi's harmonica.

You guys are reading an awful lot into their attempt to put into place local, sustainable practices. I've eaten there numerous times, but not nearly enough to receive any kind of special treatment, and I've always found the owners and the servers to be nothing but friendly and helpful. If there's fault to be found, I might say they are a little overly enthusiastic, which can get a little tiresome. This is fairly simple food we're dealing with, after all. But the quality of the ingredients is outstanding, the pizzas are consistently good, and in a style that's different from most other great pizza places in NYC. The appetizers and salads are generally very good as well.

Franny's is local for me so I don't make a special trip. I'm not sure I'd make it there much if I lived in Manhattan, but if I were listing places that have to be visited in a pizza tour of NYC, I would definitely include Franny's.