NYC Lobster Rolls

I believe they have a lobster roll now (didn't Suzanne F post about it?) and that it's reasonably priced. I'll try it soon.

edit: also this man I have run into a couple of times lately recommended the lobster roll there.

Yes, I did. They USED to, when I frequented Chelsea Market on a more regular basis. But it seems to me that the last few times I've been there, they may only have had the wraps. If they have lobster rolls again, good! As I may have mentioned, they packaged the lobster separately, and only put it together when you bought it.

They also used to sell cooked lobsters dirt cheap -- I presume they were the ones rejected by their restaurant clients. Have not seen those much, either. :P

Never seen the rolls, but we ate the wraps recently. $13.50 each, and plenty of lobster. But a cold wrap is very different from a warm buttery roll. Meanwhile, the Munchkin rejoiced in some pasta and tomato ragu from the Italian place more-or-less opposite.

Completely OT from lobster rolls, but I love Zia Tonia (or however it's spelled) at the back of Buon Italia. Excellent prepared dishes. And when I worked nearby, I would often get one of their cheap-but-delicious sandwiches from the case out front -- $3.50 for mortadella on a decent ciabatta roll, yum. But that was 5 years ago, and I'm not back there very often.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not NYC, but S. and I had an entirely respectable lobster roll yesteday at the most unlikely place: the Goshen Fair, in Goshen, CT. For $9 we received a properly toasted bun overflowing with tender lobster meat that had been coated in melted butter. Simple and delicious.

Had a lobster roll today at The Lobster Place at Chelsea Market. Lousy. Cold, out-of-the-fridge hotdog bun, overcooked, rubbery lobster, tasteless dressing. Lobster 'salad' was spooned out of a huge plastic container into the cold bun. Complete waste of time. Not even in the same league as Tides, Mary's, Pearl's.

Had a lobster roll today at The Lobster Place at Chelsea Market. Lousy. Cold, out-of-the-fridge hotdog bun, overcooked, rubbery lobster, tasteless dressing. Lobster 'salad' was spooned out of a huge plastic container into the cold bun. Complete waste of time. Not even in the same league as Tides, Mary's, Pearl's.

Of course it was lousy. Didn't anyone tell you that it is unacceptable to eat a lobster roll after Labor Day? :lol: :blink: It's like wearing white shoes.

We had a wedding in CT this weekend, so on the way up we hopped off I-95 at exit 66 and had fried clams and lobster rolls at Johnny Add's, literally 3 minutes off the highway. Oh Lordy, those clams were incredible, full bellies, expertly fried, crumb batered and not greasy at all. The lobster rolls are offered in both the salad version, which was nice, and the straight lobster dripping with butter, both on a buttered slightly toasted top split bun. Not cheap at ~$14 each, although they offer the lobster salad on toast for ~$7.

An easy 2 hour drive, and totally worth it, IMO.

Oh yeah, I made everyone stop there the next morning as well (they open at 11) for breakfast. Which everyone was really happy about, until we got stuck for an hour behind a motorcycle ride..

• 2 weeks later...

another visit to Ditch Plains last week and it's back to too cold lobster... granted, it was the Wines of Spain night and the chef was at the event most of the night (in the past 4 visits, i have not seen Marc Murphy in the kitchen ONCE - although i did see him work the girls at the bar/dining rm at least twice, ahem)

too bad, i did like the lobster roll the first 3 times...

• 3 years later...
a thoughtful scientific analysis of the lobster roll's size.

Consider that:

- The "market" price of other rolls has not budged despite a huge drop in lobster prices.

- This does not include fries, a seat, etc.

- The other places make no claims to serve more lobster meat, so it's safe to assume they don't.

Maybe you can casually drop that remote on the bar at Pearl's :lol:

There are some seats.

It may well be that everyone is serving the same amount of meat, and that the difference in size is filler. But the rolls I used to eat at Tides, for example, were definitely bigger.

Note: This is not to whine. Luke's is half the price of the other rolls, so it is indeed a bargain.

ETA: In case anyone thinks this is further evidence of my lunacy, I did bring the roll home, I didn't take the remote to the lobster bar. Luke's is conveniently close - and no, we don't want any posts claiming that lobster rolls, like pizzas, deteriorate after five minutes' travel. :grumpy:

we don't want any posts claiming that lobster rolls, like pizzas, deteriorate after five minutes' travel. :grumpy:

You're right Wilf, it takes Lobster Rolls about 30 seconds of travel time to begin deteriorating.